Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop speakers

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Laptop speakers

I have a laptop with internal speakers.  However, when watching DVDs in hotel rooms on it, the volume is sometimes a little low and it would be nice to be able to increase it - the only other solution is using headphones, which is irritating. 
So I thought about getting some external speakers for it.  In Poundland for instance, you can get external speakers for - you guessed it - £1 !  But before I go to the bank to negotiate a loan (now that interest rates have been cut, I can afford it it at last), would these actually be any louder than the internal speakers on the laptop ? 
I suspect really that to increase the volume, I will need some sort of speakers with their own USB power supply ? But why spend £10, if £1 at Poundland will do all I want, namely just to increase the volume just a bit ?  Will it or won't it ? Roll eyes
6 REPLIES
Fixes: 83

Re: Laptop speakers

What is the spec of the Poundland speakers. If they are not powered then it's unlikely the improvement will be substantial.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Community Veteran

what model laptop, which os?  there may be ways to tweak the volume.
Community Veteran

You really need a amplified set of speaker as if your out put is say 8 watts thats all you can get without amplification. If its only a slight tweak then cheap external speaker may just do it as the internal ones may be muffed within the laptop depending were they are. So for a pound its worth a try you can put them nearer to you which may just do it as well
Community Veteran

I think if you buy a set of speakers for a pound, they will sound like a set of one pound speakers.
I got myself these http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRS-T88-Compact-Portable-Speakers/dp/B0001RMAA0 a couple of years ago.
I got mine at a Sony outlet, they were "refurbished" but as new and only cost 20 dollars. The sound is excellent.
I use them when travelling and they fit inside a shoe in my case!
I don't know if they are still available but I would recommend something similar for your travels.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 10

I think it is likely that any external speakers will sound louder than the cheapo ones in a laptop.
A larger speaker - especially if in an enclosure will sound louder.
Don't expect hi-fi for your £1 though...
You pays your money and takes your choice  Smiley

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

OK, you've convinced me, especially as the VAT is only 15% now !  Do you think they will change their name to Ninetyeightpenceland ? Smiley
Seriously, thanks for your various comments - what have I to lose ?  And if it doesn't improve things, then I'll get some Amazon speakers as suggested by Santiago.
Cheers.