Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop speakers

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Laptop speakers

I have a laptop with internal speakers.  However, when watching DVDs in hotel rooms on it, the volume is sometimes a little low and it would be nice to be able to increase it - the only other solution is using headphones, which is irritating. 
So I thought about getting some external speakers for it.  In Poundland for instance, you can get external speakers for - you guessed it - £1 !  But before I go to the bank to negotiate a loan (now that interest rates have been cut, I can afford it it at last), would these actually be any louder than the internal speakers on the laptop ? 
I suspect really that to increase the volume, I will need some sort of speakers with their own USB power supply ? But why spend £10, if £1 at Poundland will do all I want, namely just to increase the volume just a bit ?  Will it or won't it ? Roll_eyes
6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Laptop speakers

What is the spec of the Poundland speakers. If they are not powered then it's unlikely the improvement will be substantial.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
artificer
Grafter

what model laptop, which os?  there may be ways to tweak the volume.
samuria
Grafter

You really need a amplified set of speaker as if your out put is say 8 watts thats all you can get without amplification. If its only a slight tweak then cheap external speaker may just do it as the internal ones may be muffed within the laptop depending were they are. So for a pound its worth a try you can put them nearer to you which may just do it as well
Santiago
Grafter

I think if you buy a set of speakers for a pound, they will sound like a set of one pound speakers.
I got myself these http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRS-T88-Compact-Portable-Speakers/dp/B0001RMAA0 a couple of years ago.
I got mine at a Sony outlet, they were "refurbished" but as new and only cost 20 dollars. The sound is excellent.
I use them when travelling and they fit inside a shoe in my case!
I don't know if they are still available but I would recommend something similar for your travels.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I think it is likely that any external speakers will sound louder than the cheapo ones in a laptop.
A larger speaker - especially if in an enclosure will sound louder.
Don't expect hi-fi for your £1 though...
You pays your money and takes your choice  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

OK, you've convinced me, especially as the VAT is only 15% now !  Do you think they will change their name to Ninetyeightpenceland ? Smiley
Seriously, thanks for your various comments - what have I to lose ?  And if it doesn't improve things, then I'll get some Amazon speakers as suggested by Santiago.
Cheers.