cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop recommendations

mal0z
Grafter

Re: Laptop recommendations

I've got a new HP  laptop,  and it has 4G of memory and it is a real pleasure to use compared to the office one whcih only has 2G ( also an HP)
It's suprising just how much faster things are - such that when I use the 2G machine, it seems sluggish. I guess it is what you get use to.
Maybe PC  World is not the best place to look, but all but the basic machines had at least 2G, and most had 3 or 4 G
bakerbloke
Dabbler

For a budget of £500 - £600 some of the new Samsung range of laptops, which I believe go on general release in the UK either today or tomorrow, should fit within this range.  And they contain the new Core iX processors. Hard drive sizes vary from 320Gb to 500Gb. http://silenceisdefeat.com/~rwightman/PVRprojects/Blog/Entries/2010/4/26_New_range_of_Samsung_laptop...
Not applicable

Hard drive size: I would agree with comments about storage.  I think that huge HDs are a bit silly - much better to store stuff on external media where it is safe from system failure.
Warranty: If you can get one with as long a warranty as possible (as commented on before) then this is a good idea as laptop repairs can be a bit pricey.
Screen size: If it's a desktop  replacement and going to be used for a serious workload then 17" is good but not so good using off mains as the battery won't last as long as a smaller screen. Also heavier to tote about.
Memory: Have just put in a 1GB additional module from Crucial for a little over £22 and it has really speeded things up on a laptop that I have fairly recently acquired. Worth the money IMO.
Bloatware: If it bothers you, check out the bloatware too. I bought a Sony in November last year (2 year warranty from the Sony centre) and spent a fair few hours getting rid of all the gubbins that I didn't need. There is still some on it but not confident about taking it off. However, it is a nice computer to use and being white, very pretty (OK I know that's nowt to do with it!). Dell doesn't seem too bad for this.
Laptops Direct have some pretty competitive prices. Also, as mentioned, Dell refurbs are pretty good VFM. Bought a Dell from PCW a couple of months ago (for my friend) that was ex-display and that too was competitively priced and a nice machine.
Only you know what you need out of a computer so it's worth checking around carefully and not purchasing one that is over and above your needs.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Quote from: poppy

Laptops Direct have some pretty competitive prices.

I have bought from them before, and are very competitive, however last time I used them the box had an obvious hardware fault and the 'support' I got from them convinced me never to use them again. Once I eventually got a refund from them I bought a similar spec'd replacement from John Lewis, who have a two year warranty on all their laptops. They also price match, and provide great service.
dgreen007
Grafter

Ok, sorry for the ridiculously long delay in posting.....
I think I'd better give some more details as to what I want this machine to do.
It's really meant to be a kind of media system so that I can watch movies/TV shows etc on my plasma.
Some of the stuff I have is HD so an HDMI socket would be needed.
I don't want a large box as it has to sit nicely with all the other bits under the TV.
I dont want to be connected wirelessly as this can spoil the viewing due to interruptions etc so I wanted the external hard drive to store all the files.
I don't actually plan on using it as a computer as such but primarily as a media player.
I hope this helps.
Thanks
zubel
Community Veteran

Without a question, look at an Eee Box
B.
bakerbloke
Dabbler

How about those small apple mac minis with a HDMI adapter (available from apple) and eyetv diversity to record your freeview programs.
For a mediaPC I've recently built my own and is featured on my website along with other options (including the mac mini). Look here:
http://silenceisdefeat.com/~rwightman/PVRprojects/PVR_page.html
Works great - the key is to get as much power into as little space as possible so it doesn't look like you have a washing machine sat beneath your TV.

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Dell Inspiron 17 or a HP with a 17" Widescreen. Perfect  Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

Personally i wouldnt touch dell with a barge pole, they use their own proprietry drivers, which means you can never get the latest and greatest - because dell wont officially support them. Humph.
A little breakdown of my opinions on set brands.
Been through two dells, not impressive.
Been through two Samsungs, Very impressive Wink (have the "new laptop" problem, where you have to empty all the crappy software they bundle) - but thats easy enough to sort..
HP = overpriced, good though
Sony = overpriced, cheap parts, shame as they have had a good reputation.
Acer = cheap as chips, will happily do what you want
Asus = Cheap as chips, support is usually pretty good and the kit is generally pretty good.

I'd have to go with Barry, and suggest an eee box..
Failing that, A Samsung laptop Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've got a 4 year old Toshiba.
Still going. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."