Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop recommendations

dgreen007
Grafter

Laptop recommendations

I have a budget of £500-£600 .
Can anyone recommend a really laptop.
It needs to have as big a Hard Drive  as possible.
Thanks
24 REPLIES 24
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Laptop recommendations

Get a desktop!
They are cheaper and you can put much bigger disks in them!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

scootie
Grafter

evil. is that reply really called for when the topic is laptops.
i tend to go to dell for my sisters laptops as she needs auto cad and 3d max to run pretty good on them so i like to be able to add the right graphics cards ect to them.
But they are not the cheapest and there is alot of better small companys that offer custom built laptops
Be3G
Grafter

I don't know if they're available in the OP's price range, but there are some laptops with two dedicated hard drive bays – I have a feeling they're expensive high-performance laptops though. Another alternative would be finding a laptop whose optical drive can be swapped out for a second internal hard drive instead.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have always bought Dell, direct from DELL..... you can chose a "basic" model and then specify what you want in it.....  if you want a huge hdd, then you add that as a spec, and the end figure will self adjust.... you can also specify your return to base options (as an added cost)....

You can get them as ready built units in PC world now.... but you are limited to what they have in stock....
Dell take about 2-3 weeks from order date to delivery on your doorstep, by courier... You are given a tracking number so you can log on to the site and see what the progress is....
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Depending on what you want to do it'd probably be better to spend £300 - £400 on a laptop and get as big an external USB drive as you can. You'll get much more storage that way. If you're spending that much on a laptop you'll probably end up spending money on dedicated graphics (which unless you're playing games or using 3d modelling programs you don't really need) and high end processing (same as graphics really, a 1.6GHz dual core will take anything you can throw at it in my experience).
Of course if you want to play games then go for it Cheesy
Denzil
Grafter

It would help to know what you want the laptop for. Do you want something small and portable or with a big screen? Do you need good battery life? What kind of applications will you be using? Any preference for Windows/Mac/Linux?
It is generally wise to budget for a backup drive, so I'd go along with Matt's recommendation and not worry too much about the drive in the laptop, and budget for a big external drive instead.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Asbo
evil. is that reply really called for when the topic is laptops.

Well yes Smiley
Requirements:-
A limited budget
Really big disk(s)
Laptop
You can't have all three of these options & since most laptops spend their lives sitting on a table, plugged into a mains socket.
A desktop will give you a faster CPU (for money spent) too. Smiley

pierre_pierre
Grafter

But I cant carry that when I go on holiday or to look after my mum for a few days.
I have a 1.5Tb external HD that cost less then £100 and even works on my small Linux EEE Netbook and SWMBO' Win XP Netbook
bakerbloke
Dabbler

In my experience find one where you can get a full 3-year warranty for no extra charge.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: A

Requirements:-
A limited budget
Really big disk(s)
Laptop
You can't have all three of these options & since most laptops spend their lives sitting on a table, plugged into a mains socket.
A desktop will give you a faster CPU (for money spent) too. Smiley

EEE PC 1001P  £259.99
1 TB 2.5" HDD  £152.74
Depending on what is required of the machine, this seems like it would fit the bill?
Having cake AND eating it!
B.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is 1GB enough memory?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Not really, but adding another 1 GB of memory would add £15 to £20 to the price
zubel
Community Veteran

I dunno what sort of memory your Ubuntu install requires, but I'm running Win7 Ultimate on an 1000H with 1GB of memory and it's actually perfectly fine.
Yes, it could probably benefit from 2GB, (£32 direct from Crucial as the Eee only has 1 x SoDIMM slot), but in all honesty for every day use (and bear in mind this laptop easily gets used for 12 hours a day) 1GB is perfectly adequate.
B.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Barry
I dunno what sort of memory your Ubuntu install requires, but I'm running Win7 Ultimate on an 1000H with 1GB of memory and it's actually perfectly fine.

I'm running Ubuntu on a 64bit, dual-processor 1GB memory - but it rarely makes use of more than 600MB.  Cheesy