Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop problems

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Laptop problems

I Have been asked for advice about a friends laptop running windows 7 Home edition.
The screen appears with all the icons but the loading indicator continues to go around as though it's still loading something and whilst the arrow can be moved across the screen none of the shortcut icons work.
Personally if it was my laptop I would wipe the drive and install Linux but I don't want to suggest that as I may be the one who has to sort any future problems out.
So what advice should I give ? Remember it's not possible to get into anything so system restore is out, CNTR ALT Delete just get back to reloading and the final desktop.
No error messages appear.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Laptop problems

Try starting in Safe mode
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

And if Safe Mode does not work, use F8 on boot-up, then Repair your Computer (top of the list), then run System Restore.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for that will pass the info on.
Forgot to ask if he has a system recovery disk, I presume this will do the same as what you describe ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No it won't.
The system recovery disk would put everything back to how she received the laptop including wiping all the programs she has installed
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: gleneagles
Forgot to ask if he has a system recovery disk, I presume this will do the same as what you describe ?

No it won't.  System Restore resets the settings back to an earlier time but leaves your files, photos, music etc. intact.  So pick a date when the computer was working properly.  There may well also be an option to restore the computer to its factory state, minus files, but only use that as a last resort.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: gleneagles
I Have been asked for advice about a friends laptop running windows 7 Home edition.

Personally if it was my laptop I would wipe the drive and install Linux but I don't want to suggest that as I may be the one who has to sort any future problems out.

Waht ?Doubts about Linux..... my goodness me...... Roll_eyes now there`s a turn up for the books !
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

At one time I was very much involved in Amateur Radio and one problem was that transmissions could cause interference on some televisions due to a lack of filtering in the TV set and it was something that could easily be rectified using ferrite rings wound around the aerial lead but I was told several times  Wink under no circumstances should you get involved with that as every single problem that happed to the TV after that would be down to you fiddling with it.
I Have always remembered that so am happy to pass on advice to others but would not get too involved into something I know nothing about.
The Linux Desktop is great and in most cases I will never need to move from there but if you ever need to move into inputting direct commands (other than simple stuff) then it becomes a different matter. Wink
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I agree 100% ! and know EXACTLY what you mean ! !  Cheesy
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for all the advice, problem is now sorted out.
It's just as well I forgot to ask about the recovery disk as I would have probably suggested using it as a first step, not sure how I would have responded if asked about recovering programs or information on the disk that was no longer there.
For once my poor memory has avoided me getting into a tricky situation.