Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop parts...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Laptop parts...

Hi,
The DC power socket on my laptop (A Samsung P10 also I believe sold as an RM P10 ) has become intermittent, a common problem with laptops
I'm looking for a supplier and not having much luck.
I initially contacted a company called 'laptopsockets' who 'appeared ' to have one (I suspect the only way to get the correct one is to actually compare the fitted socket with a picture on line).
This company was totally unhelpful.  They reckoned there was so little profit in these things  (even though they were going to charge me ~£12 for a socket which really should have cost a fiver) that it was uneconomic for them to even discuss it on the telephone and that I should order on line and not pester them !!!  The 'gentleman'  then said he had more important things to do and promptly hung up !!! 
Needless to say I would now prefer to deal with someone else  Roll_eyes
Anyone out there service laptops and can give me any leads ?
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
artificer
Grafter

Re: Laptop parts...

if you're willing to take the thing apart (no mean feat) and fix it yourself, you might find useful items on ebay, including whole laptops sold as 'spares and repairs' offerings.  i've had several that have yielded useful parts for replacement.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

IF you are up to removing the motherboard and resoldering the socket that is all that is usually needed, they are flow soldered at the factory and work loose as you use them. How ever it is not a job for the faint hearted take PICTURES as you go as there are a LOT of screws in different places!
PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Sorry about the delay in answering.
Maybe I didn't explain too well what my problem is.
I have the laptop in bits, changing the socket shouldn't be a problem - the problem is actually getting hold of one !
I've looked on eBay but can't find the one I need.  I'm loth to just re-solder it as if the thing 'is' dicky I'd need to strip it down again and find one.
I've now found a company in Dublin who has them - but their website tells me they don't have arrangements to deliver to me - now I live on Anglesey just a few short miles from Dublin !!!  (yes I know - I could almost swim across and fetch it !!!)
Ordering over the net is so easy when it works but when the software comes unstuck it can be infuriating - I've emailed them twice but no reply...
Arghhhhh !!!  Angry Angry Angry
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think it is usually the solder that is dicky, not the socket.(unless you can see physical damage).  It is also hugely easier to augment and reflow the solder on the existing joints than it is to get enough solder off to remove all four pins from the board.
Denzil
Grafter

Have you looked at what some of the electronic component suppliers offer? You might be able to find the right part cheaply from someone like Maplin or CPC.
Not applicable

I had a laptop that had the same problem. Found a man to fix it - cost about £40 or thereabouts. Didn't work initially so took it back and then it was OK.
However, not long after the machine broke down - wouldn't boot. Couldn't fathom it myself so had one or two people to look at it. I thought it was the HD but tried a new one in and it was no different.
The consensus of opinion was that the motherboard had gone so ended up selling it for scrap - I think that I just got a few pounds short of the cost of the repair back.
I am still wondering if it had something to do with the repair although can't prove it because it did work OK for a (very) short time after it.
Anyway, hope that you have better luck than me as I wish I hadn't bothered.  Sad
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Not a pretty sight...... but could you wire in a "different" socket, and change the plug on your power lead..... (have a look at RS components, or Maplin... for suitable plugs and sockets...)
You could have a short lead running out of the laptop to the plug unit, -  alternative, you could "hardwire" the power supply lead to the laptop.!... no need to keep plugging it in !...  Smiley