Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop mains

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Laptop mains

My laptop PC which has been my main computer for some years, since purchase has never been disconnected from the mains supply, except once to install an SSD about six months ago.

The SSD doesn't generate much or very little heat, unlike the former HDD. The power pack is well ventilated and just gets mildly warm. Its connected via an APC so is largely unaffected by power cuts.

I expect some would consider this bad practice...

But is it, and why?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
16 REPLIES 16
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Laptop mains

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from General Chat to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some people are of the opinion that it isn’t good for the battery as it doesn’t discharge / recharge and can affect the life span of it. But I am curious to know why you need a UPS on a laptop that in effect has its own one built in. i.e. the Battery.

If you’ve not got the battery installed all well and good as you’re powering it like a desktop, but that then kind of makes your OP moot. If the battery is installed then why the UPS?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

This is a reasonably well rounded article https://www.howtogeek.com/124715/should-i-leave-my-laptop-plugged-in-all-the-time/

But agree with mook, a UPS is overkill if you have a battery in that lasts long enough for you to shut the laptop down in even of power failure!
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Agree with the responses so far....  Like you, I have my laptop plugged in and charging all the time... it is on from about 0800 to 1100 and then from about 1300 to 2359... !   Occasionally, I remove the power plug, and let it run the battery down... it only has a life of about an hour or maybe ninety minutes anyway.. I never take it away from the desk, to use as a "mobile" laptop... I have a small 10inch one for that,.

I could remove the battery.. but it leaves a big hole in the back !... actually, that may not be such a bad idea as it will help to ventialate the machine... despite the fact that I have fixed a wooden strip across and under the screen hinge area so that the keyboard has a slope to it... Makes it easier to type on.... and also gives room underneath for better ventilation .

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@petlew wrote:
... Its connected via an APC so is largely unaffected by power cuts.

I expect some would consider this bad practice...

But is it, and why?

Unless your router is connected via another UPC it seems a bit pointless.

Also, are you monitoring the state of the UPC batteries?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am Smiley

UPS 100%

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

The usual advice with rechargeable batteries is to let them go completely flat and recharge them fully a couple of times a year, but I've never found this to make any difference to their lifespan.

My experience with laptops (I'm on my fourth one) is that the battery lasts a shorter and shorter time to the point where, after about four years (less with the two older ones), there is no point running the computer off the battery since it only lasts about 30-40 minutes.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Jonpe wrote:

The usual advice with rechargeable batteries is to let them go completely flat and recharge them fully a couple of times a year, but I've never found this to make any difference to their lifespan.

It depends on the battery chemistry. That's rather outdated advice now dating back to the likes of NiCd batteries...

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Ah! the APC, its use for the laptop is more accidental than technical. It happens the mains plug to adaptor lead has the same adaptor end socket as the redundant desk top computer power input socket. When the time came to change the computers over, I simply unplugged the decktop and plugged the mains power lead into the laptop adaptor socket. And its been that way ever since.

I've never thought much about plugging the router into the APC, they're in the same room but around 4/5 meters apart and not a straight line across doorways connect to the APC, but it wouldn't be a difficult job to move the router though, uhmm! I might consider that.

Likewise, I haven't thought about removing the laptop battery, but I will now.

Thanks for your input guys.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I had a laptop for a few years and the power supply died so I bought a replacement.

A few weeks later the laptop died Roll_eyes

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Strat  Where should we send flowers? ? ? ?   or would you prefer donations to a charity  ? ? ? 

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@shutter wrote:

...would you prefer donations to charity  ? ? ? 

It's a wicked lie. I have never met the woman.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@DaveyH wrote:

It depends on the battery chemistry. That's rather outdated advice now dating back to the likes of NiCd batteries...

My first laptop has a Cadmium battery which was useless after a few months.  The three others have Lithium batteries, but all have come with the 'periodic complete discharge' advice.  I'm not sure what kind of battery my toothbrush (bought in 2010) has, but that used to last three weeks, however now it's more like five days, and when it dies, it dies suddenly, i.e. within one brushing session.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Lithium batteries don't suffer with the ''memory' issues of other chemistries, and fully cycling isn't necessary or recommended.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_charge_when_to_charge_table