Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop freezing

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Laptop freezing

Hey guys, I'm having a few problems and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.  On Saturday my laptop refused to connect to my wireless network.  I have 2 AP's and it could see both of them, but just kept giving the message "Can not connect".  After a bit of playing it just started to work again.  On Monday it started to freeze.  Sometimes as soon as it boots, sometimes before it's even got to the log on screen.  Sometimes when it does log on it says it can't see the (in built) wireless adapter.
I had it running memtest86 all last night (12 times through the tests) and it didn't find a problem.
Anyone got any suggestions of what else to try?
Many thanks
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

4 REPLIES 4
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Laptop freezing

I would check the HDD, how old is it/what os are you running on it, is the wireless built in or a plug in card????

So many Questions, so little time
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Biker.  It's about 3-4 years.  It's an Acer Travelmate 4060.  I've got XP on it, and have done a full check of the HDD using the XP error checking tool.  The wireless is built in.  Any suggestions of decent (cheap/free) utils for checking HDD's?
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Santiago
Grafter

The HDD manufacturer usually offer a checking utility, I would start there.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Good idea.  Never thought of that!  I've had it on since I posted my first post doing various diagnostics, and so far it's not frozen once!
Phil