Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop for Linux

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Laptop for Linux

Quote from: poppy
Seems weird not having the AV though (and all the other security stuff).

AV may be required in some circumstances. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus
Here is some information re firewalls. https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/firewall.html
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I have Ubuntu running wirelessly with WPA2 using a BT Voyager 1055 plug-in wireless adapter and BT Voyager 2110 router. It was a struggle to get it to go. I had no joy with the ndiswrapper method. I succeeded only after installing wicd as my network manager.
To get networking running I followed the script in message #7 here: (I don't know if this will help in your case but perhaps worth a look)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=846271
To enable wpa2 in wicd:
Click on the triangle to the left of the displayed SSID
Chose Advanced Settings
Check Use Encryption
Chose encryption method from drop-down list and enter key
Click OK
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

To see what's around use terminal (Applications, Accessories)
iwlist scan
Will show local networks, channel they're using, signal strength etc...
iwconfig
shows info about your wireless network.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Done as you have said axis and have no wireless connections and interface doesn't support scanning. Wonder where to go from here?
At least I have Internet access but it would be good to solve the problem. Wouldn't have got this far without all the help and support so a big thank you to all.
VileReynard
Hero

What does your /etc/network/interfaces file contain?
Caution:- there is a lot of security info embedded here Shocked

Not applicable

I can access the Network File Browser and it shows the Windows Network - nothing in it when I click on the icon.
I can also enter Network Connections and this has the wireless tab.
Have had a scout around and will continue to look but could you please post back and point me in the right direction for the file you mentioned?
Apart from the irritation of not knowing what's up, I was wondering if it would be better to scrap this installation and purchase a used laptop solely for Linux. Not just because of this problem, but Ubuntu has taken up 10GB of the 11GB partition so I haven't much room for manoeuvre. However, apart from this minor irritation, I am finding my way about. Just missing the start up menu because I parked all my shortcuts on there in Vista. I guess it will take quite some time to get comfortable with it. 
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@poppy,
Im hoping that when you said previously that the card was an Sis1634 it was a mistype and its really an sis163u because I cant find much about the 1634 but plenty about th 163u relating to Siemens laptops.
Hopefully this post https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/FujitsuAmiloLi1818 will help. It describes your problem in that Network manager doesnt run because the driver isnt loaded. At the bottom of the post it gives step by step details on how you use ndiswrapper to load the windows driver.
Hope that helps.
Ian

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Not applicable

Yes, I had read something earlier about the wrapper but didn't thoroughly understand it. Sounds complicated but I am a bit unsure about whether to proceed - the instructions are quite straightforward however.
In view of the fact that I am thinking that a laptop just for Ubuntu might be the best way to go, we are checking the want-ads and have found a few possibilities.
This has been a useful experiment as I now know about the OS and if I have a designated machine I know that I won't need to worry about messing up the Vista installation.
Also, I haven't much space for the updates that are offered. Would this be the best way to go?
BTW the model is the AmiloLi1818.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You're probably right , a separate laptop is maybe a good idea. I must admit i started my Ubuntu experiment with an old desktop with 256mb of memory an a 400Mhz Celeron. Once I'd got it going I liked it so much I got a new motherboard, memory and processor. Now this is the system I use most of the time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: axisofevil
To see what's around use terminal (Applications, Accessories)
iwlist scan
Will show local networks, channel they're using, signal strength etc...
iwconfig
shows info about your wireless network.

oddly enough iwlist scan on my install only shows my active connection, I have a shed load more in the little gnome applet
VileReynard
Hero

Sorry - I should have said your wireless connection - not wireless network

artificer
Grafter

poppy, you can install linux to an external usb drive.  so long as the bios on your computer allows booting from usb devices, you may be able to save yourself a bob or two.  you have to ensure that you write the bootloader to the mbr of the usb drive and you can take it anywhere with you.
alternatively, you can install to a usb key.
you seem to be doing pretty well so far.  keep slogging away, you'll get there.
Not applicable

Artificer - the information that you have given me is interesting because I thought of getting a small USB external hard drive from Amazon - I have seen a 40GB one for quite a reasonable price. Are you saying that  I could install it on one of these? Would I then have to go into the bios to allow the computer to boot from this just the one time so that it would offer the option each time I booted (when it was plugged in)? Presumably if Ubuntu was completely separate from Windows it would be safer to mess about with drivers and such like.
This sounds better than another laptop and much cheaper.
BTW thank you for the encouragement but couldn't have got this far without all the help/support here.
artificer
Grafter

once you have set the bios to boot from usb, it will look there first, then whatever comes next.  for example, mine is set to boot from usb, cdrom, hd0 in that order.  mostly it boots from internal drive.
i prefer to install to an external drive, rather than flash, because i can put a swap drive on the external.  it's not advisable to put one on flash drive as it wears them out too quickly, they having a limited write cycle.  a 2.5" drive is small enough to carry about and boot on anyone else's machine that will boot from usb.  40gb would be ideal, divided up as 2gb for swap, 10gb for / and the rest for /home.
before going further, get into your bios and confirm that you can boot from usb.  then you can decide which route to go.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@artificer,
poppy, you can install linux to an external usb drive.  so long as the bios on your computer allows booting from usb devices, you may be able to save yourself a bob or two.

Nice one , I didnt even think of that, but when you think about it, what a neat idea...