Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop display issue

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Laptop display issue

Came home from work last week, and my son reported that his laptop had 'blown up'. After careful questioning, it turns out that the fans started spinning up very fast, and it smelt of burning, and then shut down.

I restarted it, and it all appeared fine, but fans span up again.  I took out the keyboard, and cleaned the fan assembly, which was full of dust, and put back the keyboard.  Now the display is very dim. i assumed that the power inverter had also failed, so i managed to get another, for a couple of pounds, from e-bay, which didnt solve the issue. It also came with cables, so I changed out all those as well.  Still the same.  I connected the VGA port to an external monitor, and this works fine, but the touchpad does not work, and random keys on the keyboard also dont work.  I have reseated all connections, but still nothing. I am assuming either the backlight has failed, or something on the MOBO has failed due to the overheating, but would welcome anyone elses advice as to other things that it may be....

10 REPLIES 10
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Laptop display issue

With laptops there comes a point of no return. Since you have already tried the obvious areas I would say time to replace it.
Marketman
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I had this problem a few years ago, fans were working ok but the air flow was being blocked inside the laptop with fluffy dust / dog hairs a good clean solved the problem.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

That would cause it to shutdown, not the display/touchpad etc to fail.
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Had similar problem on my laptop with the touch-pad, turns out it was disabled in the settings Roll_eyes Must have had a 'blonde moment'.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the replys. Touchpad is on. I feel that its no longer viable to investigate, as its an old laptop, a toshiba equium a200. Sad, as it ran win 10 rather well given its age. Its likely either the screen backlight has failed or a mobo issue,  but dont want to start throwing money at it, when im not sure of the exact issue.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Even though it sounds like it's fried, the odd thing is that the screen was working before you took the keyboard out....?

Also, when you were that far in to it, did you remove the fluff/dust that builds up on the heat sink - where the fan exhausts.

Something like Speccy would give basic results, but lists the temps which may show it's still too hot....?

If you do chuck it out, I'd be tempted to whip out the HDD as it could contain private details about you/your family.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If it wasn't the inverter then maybe the actual lamp is on the way out?  If the touchpad has stopped working you probably disconnected it by accident when you removed the keyboard.  Those Zero Insertion Force connectors can be really fiddly.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

With your touchpad now working and the output available via the VGA you’ll at least be able to use it until you get a replacement. To see if the backlight has croaked, look in to the screen from at least two inches away. You should be able to see the Windows desktop / login on it although it will be very dark.

Also, lots of laptops come with a Fn Key that it used to cycle the video output from LCD > VGA (and or Both), on yours it appears to be Fn + F5, connect the VGA screen and try cycling the output to see if it appears just in case the LCD’s been turned off.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@penfold

Don`t know whether this will work or not....

Power up the laptop.... leave it for about 30 mins.

while still powered up.... remove the battery. 

shut down in normal manner

after shut down... remove the power plug from the laptop

Press and hold the power on button for at least 30 seconds  ( no power to the machine )

Replace the battery and insert the power plug....   restart the laptop .... .   see whether that has cured the problem...

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hi all..  Many thanks for the replys, and sorry for the late reply back.  The suggestions didnt work unfortunately, and so there is no option but to scrap the unit.  I have already removed the HDD, as its a good size anyway, so will utilise it for other things..  I have no idea whats happened, but maybe taking it apart, was the proverbial straw, as its been a bit clunky for a while. Tried to put more memory in it, a few months ago, and one of the memory slots stopped working, and the new memory was OK, as I tried it in another laptop. Taken many laptops apart before, with no issues, but maybe its decided to call it a day.