Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Screen Faults

southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Laptop Screen Faults

The temperature doesn't seem to make a difference.  It's exactly like twocv said, flashes like mad sometimes then just solid all the time.  You can bet it won't appear when it's in for repair.
nanotm
Pro

if you put in a note to say that changing the screen position whilst its operational causes the flickering and intermittently solid line to occur during a couple of hours of usage then they would have to test for it under those circumstances during the rma investigation.
that would increase the likelihood of them finding the problem and rectifying it or replacing the laptop Smiley

@2cv glad to be corrected on what the cause of the problem is, my experience with acer kit is gloriously limited to the faulty software they bundle with the high end mobo's 
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
southken
Rising Star

Yes, I will put a note in nanotm, also it might be a silly question, but I've got a password on it, will I need to do anything about that or will it not matter?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

A password may increase the chance of the computer being reset to factory state before it us returned to you - if that machine ever is.
nanotm
Pro

what operating system is it running ?
given the age I would assume win8.1 but possibly its on win 7
if the former then I would utilise the built in reset feature (which wipes everything back to factory settings) sign in with a local machine and give them the password., if its windows 7 then make sure you sign out of any personal accounts wipe the browser storage (password manager etc) and turn the password off.
just so you don't expose yourself to any possibility of your account(s) being compromised otherwise there is a chance they will refuse to touch the machine as it wont go past the login screen,

exactly what procedure they use will depend on how good the rma team is
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
southken
Rising Star

Thanks for the info, it is windows 8.1 so I'll do the reset.
southken
Rising Star

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and let you know the outcome, the laptop was collected on Monday and returned from Acer this afternoon, the repair report says that after testing the unit was found to be faulty, the mainboard and LCD have been replaced and Windows restored.  Also BIOS and UEFI firmware were updated to version 1.07, no idea what that means but it is fine now.  Thanks again.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Quote from: southken
the mainboard and LCD have been replaced and Windows restored.

Translation:
They replaced the whole laptop.. Grin