cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Power Supply

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Laptop Power Supply

I am thinking of buying a laptop when I go to the US shortly.  Can anyone tell me if the power unit will allow the laptop to be charged here in the UK?  I know I will need a pin adapter to connect to the mains.  Their keyboards also have a different layout but that's not a problem.
11 REPLIES 11
paulh
Rising Star

Re: Laptop Power Supply

well for a start the US PSU will be for a 110V/60Hz mains supply whereas the UK uses 240/50Hz mains supply  ... so you'll need more than just a pin adaptor
(there was a thread running here for a while about mains voltage variations wasn't there? -- might  be worth a look)
artmo
Aspiring Champion

A lot of units have an input of 110/240 volts marked on them and I was wondering if this was the case with a laptop unit.  If so presumably it would work here.
Santiago
Grafter

I have bought laptops in the US and the power supplies work everywhere I have taken the laptops, UK Europe Asia.
You will save a lot of money buying in the US. Although the dollar has strengthened the exchange rate is still good at 1.92 dollars to the pound. Laptops prices are really cheap there compared to here. My Chinese clients also buy HP laptops when they are in the US as they are cheaper than in China!
The best deals I have seen recently are at Walmart and Office Depot. The instore selection is patchy at Walmart stores.
I would check them out online before you travel.
You can also get great deals on cases too.
Happy shopping.
itsme
Grafter

They will not work out to be cheaper if you get hit by import duty and VAT on your return to the UK.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Santiago
I have bought laptops in the US and the power supplies work everywhere I have taken the laptops, UK Europe Asia.

Thanks Santiago for the info.  The other place I plan to look is CompUSA who always seem very competitive and Dell has got a very good outlet store on their US site.
unfortunately the dollar has strengthened this week and this morning's rate is 1.8743 at Travelex.  They are normally the best around.
(BTW just wondered if you saw my question post #446 in the squirrelmail thread)
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
They will not work out to be cheaper if you get hit by import duty and VAT on your return to the UK.

Yes they will.
There is no import duties on laptops
VAT on a decent spec US laptop at say $500 would be about £45.00.
@artmo
I don't know if you are aware but earlier this year CompUSA was reorganised and a lot of stores were closed. There are only 23 open now mainly in the south stores Hope you can get to one!
I use XE.com daily email for market currency rates and that probably explains the difference.
Yes I did see your other post. There a good thread on this subject and I have been looking for it. I will reply there to you.
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
A lot of units have an input of 110/240 volts marked on them and I was wondering if this was the case with a laptop unit.  If so presumably it would work here.

As long as it is marked as such, it should work fine. Switch mode power supplies will work from a wide range of voltages.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Santiago, Yes, I knew about CompUSA but luckily there are 2 stores within driving distance of where I stay.  I get weekly emails from them and they look competitive but will also check out your suggestions.  Thanks.
Santiago
Grafter

You're welcome, Have a nice trip and have a cold Yeungling for me when you are there!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: artmo

unfortunately the dollar has strengthened this week and this morning's rate is 1.8743 at Travelex.  They are normally the best around.

Hopefully not too far OT, but I don't find Travelex the best and get my currency from either Thomas Exchange (http://www.thomasexchange.co.uk/) or if I'm planning ahead i keep an eye crown currency, where 3 weeks ago I was able to order some dollars at 2:1 for delivery in november.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Yes, Thomasexchange is good.  Currently quoting $1.89 against Travelex $1.8743.  Thanks for that adiewoo.