Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Power Supply

FIXED
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Laptop Power Supply

The power adaptor for my netbook (Acer) just started making a rapid clicking noise, the nice built-in blue LED switched off and the netbook doesn't get charged. Every few minutes the LED flickers, indicating an abortive attempt to work.

Is this kind of thing normal?

I'm assuming it's the power adaptor that's broken & not the netbook?

I've ordered a generic replacement power adaptor - cost £6-78 (post free) Lips_are_sealed

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Laptop Power Supply

@VileReynard - As I don't know where you bought this replacement or exactly how much you paid for it please, please make sure this supply is safe before you use it. I've read and seen some horror stories regarding items like these and they can be very dangerous to the point of being lethal.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

There are no moving or moveable parts so the clicking noise is presumably the sound of a muffled spark caused by an electrical breakdown.

Switch-mode power supplies that are not adequately filtered can inject a lot of high frequency noise onto your mains and ruin your broadband.  So beware of generic power adaptors that are too cheap!

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

{If [username=VileReynard]&&[OS=Linux]}

Are you using it with a suitable version of Windows?

Does it have a little sticker to show it's designed for proper compatibility?

Windows_Certification_Capable3

I wouldn't recommend using a PSU with an  incompatible operating system, it could be dangerous if not controlled properly.  Funny

</coat>

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
VileReynard
Hero

When I originally bought the power adaptor, it was some cheap Chinese version. The netbook is a dual-boot machine & connects via wireless, although I've not noticed any interference anywhere. Point taken about switch-mode PSU's though.

I've tried to open the PSU - but it seems to be a sealed unit.

I'm quite happy to use a PSU with any OS.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I just got a a "new" monitor, it has a sticker on it saying "Compatible with Windows 7"!
Maybe I should ask for a refund ?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

But back on topic, I have never had any issues with 3rd party laptop psu's.
I had one for my EE for several years that never gave any issues, I got a Tosh lappy with a dodgy plug and got a new psu for it (<£10) used that as my server for over a year, and last I got a Leveno Thinkpad psu off ebay after the original one went phut.,
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

My old Dell Vostro complains if a non-original PSU is used (it even complains if I use a genuine Dell on off a different model).  Charging on that became intermittent and I found it was something on the laptop causing it - not the PSU, A strange symptom I got was that the processor would switch to its slowest clockspeed (Intel speedstep) when running Windows 7 on power but it worked at normal speed on battery - this problem never manifested when running Linux Mint.  3rd party replacement PSU works as well as original (with the fault on the laptop not very well), still intermittent charging gradually less and less % chance it'll charge at all.

I've had a dodgy plug ('cloverleaf' style) on the end of a mains lead that made me think I have a faulty PSU on an ACER netbook, luckily I tried a different lead before buying a new PSU.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
VileReynard
Hero

I seem to have untapped a hitherto untapped source of complaints regarding laptops!

Assuming my 3rd party adaptor has the correct "tip" on it, I'll let you know if it works when it arrives in a few days.

Why is the standard for power connectors that each machine has a non-standard connector?
All other connectors are standard in a standard kind of way...

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

That's the thing about standards - there's so many to choose from...

HairyMcbiker
All Star

It is usually a standard for each manufacturer rather than the same between them.
But as they also use different voltages probably just as well.
I do have a multi voltage charger with different plugs for the car, that takes the 12V to 18-22V as needed. I also got some 5.2mm barrel to the pin job for my thinkpad to allow me to use it.
VileReynard
Hero

Fix

Well - my cheapo Chinese replacement arrived today & appears to work.

We shall see what its lifetime is...