Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Overheat, worst ive seen

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Laptop Overheat, worst ive seen

My sister has been complaining her laptop keeps shutting down.  Suspecting it was overheating, I removed the heatsink, and saw the worst clogging of a heatsink I have seen yet!!
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Laptop Overheat, worst ive seen

you should tell her that the glass screen in front of the keyboard is not there to comb you hair in Cool Huh Roll_eyes
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I had similar with my laptop. Took it to bits, dusted out the heatsink.... made no difference really. Very disappointing.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I brought one of the work laptops at home to service. The battery was at about 25% so was charging while I checked it over.
After about an hour I checked the power supply unit and found it was very hot. Unfortunately it is sealed with no ventilation holes at all.
Since the battery reached full charge thankfully it is running cooler.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pd
Grafter

There have been recalls of hundreds of thousands of laptop batteries made by Sony over the last couple of years owing to the overheating problem with some actually causing fires.
pd
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

After a through cleaning, and re-heatsinking the CPU with arctic silver, all OK. Fans still run quite a bit, but its not overheating, suspect its just the design of the lappy. It was a Toshiba satellite A30.  I have a 1135, and the fan runs alot on that too.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: pd
There have been recalls of hundreds of thousands of laptop batteries made by Sony over the last couple of years owing to the overheating problem with some actually causing fires.

Yet strangely the last I heard of this they claimed it didn't affect laptops sold in the UK... despite them being of the same design. I guess we really are treasure island because we'll beleive anything...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re Sony Batteries  see http://www.pcw.co.uk/2229542 for recall on Sony Batteries as fitted  to HP, Dell, Acer, Lenovo and Toshiba notebokes after 40 cases of overheating, 21 caught fire
From issue Jan 2009 Crazy out today
Njal
Grafter

pierre_pierre
Grafter

corrected silly typo will co do it Grin Grin