cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Network Drivers

Rourkefamily
Grafter

Laptop Network Drivers

Just installed a new HDD in my daughters Acer laptop. The previous one totally wrecked.
Installed Windows 7 and all works well. Only cannot connect to networks, either wirelessly or hard wired. On further investigation looks like the drivers are not available.
I have gone to the Acer support website and entry the Serial number and the SNID, clicked search and it takes me to the Acer Homepage  Angry
Tried a general google search and downloaded two zip files (both I would say were the same) tried to install and come up with error messages for missing files.
Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Laptop Network Drivers

What's the model number of the laptop? 
Mav
Fixes: 515

Have you tried right-clicking the Network Adaptor in Device Manager  and select Update Driver Software then choose Search automatically for updated driver software and let W7 install it's own drivers?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Rourkefamily
Grafter

Quote from: pwatson
What's the model number of the laptop? 

Acer Aspire 5742Z
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Have you tried right-clicking the Network Adaptor in Device Manager  and select Update Driver Software then choose Search automatically for updated driver software and let W7 install it's own drivers?

Network Adaptors does not appear in Device Manager list.
Under Other Devices I have Ethernet Controller, Network Controller and PCI Simple Communications Controller. All three have the yellow exclamation mark. Update drivers search automatically returns "Windows cannot find driver SW"
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I have gone to the Acer support website and entry the Serial number and the SNID, clicked search and it takes me to the Acer Homepage  Angry
I've just tried searching by Product Model , entered 5742 , selected Aspire 5742Z from the list and it gives me all the drivers , no problem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

brush6136
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Rourkefamily
Quote from: Mav

Network Adaptors does not appear in Device Manager list.
Under Other Devices I have Ethernet Controller, Network Controller and PCI Simple Communications Controller. All three have the yellow exclamation mark. Update drivers search automatically returns "Windows cannot find driver SW"

Hi if you've not tried it already, select the "scan for hardware changes" button. It may be that during your Windows  reinstall these devices were not recognised for some reason & unable to install the MS generic drivers. If that doesn't work try a repair under Windows using the F8 key at boot time (think it's F8 in W7). This process should replace any missing or "corrupt" files allowing you to install the files in the zip file you downloaded from the manufacturers site. Good luck.
Don't use a big word where a diminutive word will suffice.
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
I have gone to the Acer support website and entry the Serial number and the SNID, clicked search and it takes me to the Acer Homepage  Angry
I've just tried searching by Product Model , entered 5742 , selected Aspire 5742Z from the list and it gives me all the drivers , no problem

Embarrassed
Tried that route and it worked.
Downloaded and installed. Thanks for helping a muppet