cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Memory

mystraal

Laptop Memory

I'm trying to upgrade memory in an old Sony laptop (pcg fx340) 256 ram fitted but on downloading the specs find it will take up to 512M. There are 2 slots but the second one would not work. I used CPUZ and Belarc both showed only 1 slot. I upgraded to the latest BIOS and now both CPUZ and Belarc are showing two slots so I've achieved something.
The situation now is either memory module works fine in slot one but neither will work in slot two. If a module is placed in slot two the machine will not boot not even to BIOS, it makes no difference if slot one is occupied or not.
Thanks for any ideas.
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): thread moved to a more appropriate board.]
4 REPLIES 4
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Laptop Memory

have you got the correct memory for slot two, if it is old they might not be available, check the Crucial site for comapability
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like there is a problem with the second socket.
Try giving the socket gold contacts a good scrub with some methylated spirits and allow to dry.
It might be worth giving the socket a blast with an air duster (aerosol can of compressed air).
Failing that I am wondering whether there is a mechanical issue, where the socket is flexing slightly when the slot2 ram is fitted, perhaps causing a short circuit ?
mystraal

Thanks Guys
Both modules are sdramm pc133 256M both work in slot one tried blowing out the socket as it had not been used before, I do suspect the socket or something on the M/board. Probably not worth wasting a lot of time on but worth asking
Thanks again
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Are they identical?
That type of ram can be high-density or low-density I think which can get very confusing.
(Recalls spending ages trying to get a Dell laptop ram upgrade that worked....)