Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Keyboard layout in UK models

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Laptop Keyboard layout in UK models

There should be only two options given by the seller.... Replacement with the correct item, or refund of the purchase price .
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Well should and actual isn't always the same with some sellers. You never really know with internet sellers.
That's RPM to you!!
shutter
Community Veteran

If it is a UK registered seller, they are bound by the Distant Selling Rules, as well as , Trades Descriptions Act, and Sale of Goods Act. 
bubbalicious
Grafter

I hadnt thought about a partial refund, will it not void my manufacturers warranty if I put new keyboard in?
I know when I spoke to them in the first place, they suggsted it might be that all their batch have the same error...
I can see what you say about out of warranty repairss, having always bought vaio, it always seems they are more
expensive to repair, so the warranties have helped.  I am wondering now about paying out for one, I guess also as I am covred for first year, it coukd be something I think about when that expires!
one other question spinning round my head is if in the future I decided to sell it or trade it in, would the fact it has an american  keyboard give me problems? Does anyone know if it would?
My biggest problem is if I kept it, or got them to send replacement,  now I know what I do about them is I that I might be for evermore think ive got an inferior product and be waiting for it to go wrong!  Its such a big expensive purchase for me,  I want it to be perfect to shat i paid for!
I see amazon sell them at a little bit  more expensive pricem but if im paying £900, maybe tge extra ££s woul be a btter investment?
  It is a lovely laptop, and wasnthe nearest to the sony I cant have because of the wifi issues, I definitely want another one just do I want it from debenhams plus?  Kiss
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I buy laptops at John Lewis - they give a free 2 year guarantee.
Downside - bit more expensive than Amazon and you are probably forced to accept that Windows 8 rubbish.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bubbalicious
Grafter

Thanks for the tip about john lewis, I did try and buy the laptop month or so ago, they had a 3yr warranty free offer at the time!
I paid for it over the phone,  drove to pick it up the next day, to be told in store that they had messed up and didnt have the model I paid for, ...they had even taken my home tel, mobile number and email,  yet didnt try and get hold of me so I didnt waste a journey of over hour each way!
They gave me £50 voucher, for the inconvinience, and cover the petrol, but still dont have model I want!
Im beginning to think maybe im jinxed when it comes to laptops!

bubbalicious
Grafter

This is an apology for what I typed by accident in reply #18
Quote from: bubbalicious
 Its such a big expensive purchase for me,  I want it to be perfect to [Censored] i paid for!

please accept my sincere apologies and regret,  I dont know what I wrote in error but should read " I want it to be perfect for what I paid for..."
I would never intentionally include anything that would be rude, or offend,and am careful to read through before I post,, somehow I missed it.
im using a really annoying little tablet, seems to have a mind of its own, ...I wish these things had spell check!,,
I hope you can see, I would never mean to break the rules of the forum.

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Meanwhile, back to the laptop... Smiley
Have you actually seen one of these 'in the flesh' that has a UK keyboard layout?  All the pictures I've found (including those on the Debenhams Plus website) show it with a US keyboard.
I realise that the photos are generic, and that it's a perfectly reasonable assumption that a UK model will come with a UK keyboard, but there's sufficient ambiguity to give the supplier an 'out'.
bubbalicious
Grafter

Thank you for taking the time to check the pictures for me, something I hadn't thought about doing.  I did go back to a site I used when looking at laptop reviews http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-series-7-chronos_Laptop_review
It does show  UK keyboard layout, but yes I see what you mean about the debenhams picture
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

As those photos show a UK keyboard - Go in with all guns blazing!
bubbalicious
Grafter

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy    Success,HOORAY<  full refund agreed, laptop being collected tomorrow, hopefully middle of the week I can start looking again!!!:D Cheesy Cheesy
They agreed it was a mistake and they couldn't send me one with Uk layout!  They did offer a 10% refund but I decided I would rather have the peace of mind of a new one from elsewhere! 
One really, really rude customer service agent who kept questioning , when I said it was a US layout, "well whats the problem", " so what's wrong with that", even " does it really matter" ... so I put on my serious phone voice and asked to be transfered to someone in a management position, as soon as I mentioned that I thought they were breaching sales of goods acts, and that I don't think trading standards would be impressed, they chnaged to being so very helpful and from then on it was quite easy!!
As long as it all goes smoothly from here, I'm happy!!!
They did say they would put something on the websites to say it is a US layout, and then that they sell under 17 websites, confirmed they were also laptopsdirect (they told me it wasn't the other day!!) - I just need to be sure now I don't buy from them again under a different name!!!
When I asked if they were  white label laptops, they said they'd not heard of it!!!!! Uhhhhmmm!!! Roll_eyes
All I need to decide now is, the Samsung again, or something else!  Does anyone know much about the ASUS N550JV Laptop, debehams said it was almost identical to the Samsung Chronos????
Anyway, kind and helpful peeps, THANK YOU for giving me the confidence with all your tips and advice and reassurance I was in the right to ask for my money back!  I will try my best to not have another catastrophe with what I buy.... so I don't have to come back again!!!! Grin
Cheers peeps, if I met in you in my local I'd buy you all a drink!!!
Kiss
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

A white-label product or service is a product or service produced by one company (the producer) that other companies (the marketers) rebrand to make it appear as if they made it.

From here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-label_product
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

I find it amazing, when you complain about something, and they try to fob you off with all sorts of "official" sounding garbage that they make up as they go along....... but as soon as you quote back at them about " Sale of Goods Act..... Not of merchantable quality... or ... not fit for purpose... and "Trades Descriptions Act"...  ( even it that is ALL YOU know about them).. how they soon quieten down and back off....
So glad you got yourself sorted.... IF... IF... you do get into a similar situation, and think you have been "seen off"... you know the phrases to use,.... even if you don`t understand what they mean...
You can send me money via PayPal for a pint.... !    Cheesy