Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Hard Drives and thier Location

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Laptop Hard Drives and thier Location

Quote from: ZedinGrove
Just a word of caution, if you want to change h/d take it to Sony or from where you bought it and they will send it to Sony!

And Sony will then charge you an arm and a leg to do something for you that most every other manufacturer lets you do for yourself!  it's not crazy; it's a nice little earner for Sony.  What is odd is that such practices have not tarnished their reputation. 
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: ZedinGrove
Wow...! What a great idea....Oh wait would I be able to use a desktop whilst lying in bed and watching TV or doing #2's?

No wonder your disk is knackered.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

zedingrove
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
And Sony will then charge you an arm and a leg to do something for you that most every other manufacturer lets you do for yourself!  it's not crazy; it's a nice little earner for Sony.  What is odd is that such practices have not tarnished their reputation. 

I am amazed of this yet they have been doing this from day one with all their products. If it aint got Sony on it......
Al3x
Dabbler

I work on all kinds of laptops, allinones and PCs on a daily basis.  Working on up to 50 systems a week.  Have been for the last 13 years. 
Not all Sonys are bad to stripdown/reassemble.  Some the HDD is under a panel with 2 screws, others you have to remove the back panel and you can then get to your hdd, ram, cpu/heatsink/fan, mainboard, wlan card, dvdrw etc with just removing a panel.
Some Sonys you have to remove screws from the back, remove the keyboard and its under there.  Not all manufacturers use the same format, its different for all of them.  Some dells are easy to work, others are a pain etc
The best laptops I find for easy dissasemble are Toshibas.  The screws are generally standardised and they label all the screw holes with circled numbers so you cant go wrong.  With some complex laptop strip downs (HP laptops) I take pictures of each stage with my phone then circle on a piece of paper a little diagram where the screws go.
It really isnt rocket science, you just need to take it slow, be carefull and document things.  Try to do it all in one sitting aswell. 
zedingrove
Grafter

You make it sound like I have not got a clue, sadly way back used to be a compaq authorised reseller.
But think since I found my ambition of getting wasted every night most things do not go array, fact thought should put back laptop, not a good idea....
Forgot to put the screws in  Huh Next day cleaner came and brushed them all away.... Not to much of a problem as there is one holding it all together.... lol
Moral of the story get even more wasted as or become like everybody else  Undecided 
Al3x
Dabbler

Also I might ad, that it doesnt void your warranty if you remove the HDD yourself, if you are carefull Sony will be none the wiser.  Use a rubber tipped screw driver so the paint on the screw heads stays intact and how will they know?  I have removed 100s of HDDs for customers where the laptop was under warranty and they wanted thier data off it and no manufacturer ever said they wouldnt swap it because the laptop had been tampered with.
With the laptops we sell when we get a duff drive we dont even have to return the laptop to the manufacturer, Toshiba and Fujitsu-Siemens have been great in this respect, they just send us a replacement drive, we fit it and either ghost the customer's complete data to it or do a fresh install and data dump, we then send the old drive back RMA. 
I dont see what your problem is here.