cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop - Desktop - IP addressing issue

pj2014
Grafter

Re: Laptop - Desktop - IP addressing issue

@PeeGee - Yes that's correct,  Toshiba on batteries is fine. But if I connect to the power brick, it disturbs the pc/laptop connected to the homeplug (hardwired)
So its the toshiba laptop or the generic charger. Its easier (and cheaper) to replace the charger for now...
I mean, at least if I still have issues after I can sell it as faulty (with a new charger!) or make sure the other party does not use homeplugs. (so it doesn't disrupt as it does me at the moment)
@HPsauce - True, it does look the likely culprit.  I'll order a new brick and see how I get on...  will report back after the part arrives...
cheers all !
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

if you have a surge protected power strip plug the Toshiba power bric into it and then use both systems see if the feedback problem is still occurring, I had a similar problem with devices in one room knocking out networking across the house but the surge strips seem to have eliminated the problem
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pj2014
Grafter

nanotm - thanks for that...  I had a surge protector plug laying around (make --> belkin)
I plugged the power brick into this surge protector plug before the wall socket and lo and behold....  both seemed to work fine (not great, just fine....).  There was no loss of IP address (yellow triangle) however, the PC was slow, AVG updates were slow around 1% every few seconds not the usual 4 - 5 seconds. I also tried webpages etc all slow and timed out. Checked ipconfig  /all and said it had an ip address
This is the most progress I have made in ages! I was literally about to bin this laptop! (its ancient anyway core 2duo).  I wonder how the surge protector works? does it filter inbound or outbound or both?
I might try plugging the PC in via the surge protector and Toshiba directly into the wall to see the outcome....
cheers
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

The Toshiba power bric needs replacing, the powerline signal was getting swamped due to feedback, the surge protector acts like a signal filter both ways so whilst it is doing the job to a certain degree it's not that good at the feedback damping
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pj2014
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
The Toshiba power bric needs replacing, the powerline signal was getting swamped due to feedback, the surge protector acts like a signal filter both ways so whilst it is doing the job to a certain degree it's not that good at the feedback damping

Thanks for that, I'll get one ordered after the xmas period as anything I order now may not arrive for a while.
cheers
pj2014
Grafter

*Resolved*
Oh gosh! I completely forgot to update this thread!
Well I purchased an original Toshiba laptop charger and all my problems went away!
I can charge/use the laptop connected to a wall socket and my other pc (over homeplugs) works absolutely fine. No dropping of IP address, no yellow triangles etc. So I just wanted to thank you guys for your advice/help on this.
For the mods: I couldn't work out how to update the thread subject heading with resolved in the title, so if you could do that it would be great.  Hope this helps someone else in future!
many thanks all 🙂
pj2014