Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop DVD

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Laptop DVD

The DVD drive on my laptop seems to have packed up.  I cannot of course be sure that the drive is faulty but it seems the most likely explanation.  The video seems to play alright but the sound is broken up and fragmented.  Music CDs sound as bad as DVDs.
However, where I have both DVD decrypted files or music loaded in folders on the hard disk, both types play back perfectly normally from the hard disk.  Therefore I assume that it mus be the DVD drive which is faulty.  It can easily be withdrawn from the laptop by undoing one screw.  I have searched for a replacement part which would cost £195 !  The laptop is four years old and just not worth spending that sort of money on.
The question is : Can DVD drives be repaired / adjusted rather than being forced to buy a new one ?  I think I would rather bite the bullet and put the money towards a new laptop some time in the future, but I am short of cash at present and cannot afford to do that.  So it either means getting the DVD drive repaired or doing without DVDs when I am travelling.  But can DVD drives be repaired ?
Any help appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Laptop DVD

Depends how often you want to use it, a usb one can be had for about £40 or less http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=384925&C=Email-Newsletter&U=10P03-1-A77JX&T=385945&utm_...
artmo
Aspiring Champion

have a look at this thread Shermans.  Very useful information here.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,82775.16.html
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks to all.  As a result of the various bits of advice, I took the DVD apart - it did not work, therefore nothing to lose. I wiggled the flexible cable but it was thoroughly secured, so nothing loose there.  I tapped it on the table, fiddled with the pcbs and then gave up, re-assembled it, re-installed in, re-booted and lo and behold it worked again !  Watched a DVD through tonight, and all works well.  I don't know what I did, but whatever it was, it worked - for the time being at least.  Must be a latent defect, perhaps a component on the pcbs.  It cannot have been the flexible cable because it appears to be soldered fast.  But it may be that I am back studying the advice again in a few days.  Fingers crosed it won't be necessary. Wink
johpal
Grafter

@shermans
Glad the DVD player is working again. Ever thought it may just have been dust on the lens? DVD/CD cleaning discs are inexpensive and always useful to have around.