cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop DVD Drive wont work after virus attack

juliasdream
Grafter

Laptop DVD Drive wont work after virus attack

I just removed 100's of viruses and malware from an HP pavillion laptop running XP home SP2
Everything is now working fine only the DVD Drive has stopped working
I tried downloading the drivers from HP but that didnt work
I made a bootable floppy with CD support and it wont work from DOS either
I cant imagine the hardware side of it is damaged
I want to run the recovery disc but obviously cant without the DVD
I have an external DVD drive which works via USB but I cant find any options in the BIOS to get ut to boot from it
I was wondering if abyone has any idea what else I can try
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
StickyMick
Grafter

Re: Laptop DVD Drive wont work after virus attack

At a guess I'd say the firmware of the drive has probably been trashed.
Does it show up in device manager? If it does then make a note of the manufacturer and model No then Google search for the firmware and see if it will re-install that.
samuria
Grafter

Define not working
Can the bios see the drive?
Can you boot from it?
Does the light come on when you insert a disk?
does it show in device manager?
Is it removable ie can you take it out and reinsert it?
juliasdream
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
Define not working
Can you boot from it?

Define not working
By not working I mean its not doing anything at all
Only the floppy and the Hard drive show up in the BIOS
Can you boot from it?
No, Can't boot or do anything at all
No light
It shows up as a drive in My Computer
In the device manager it says: Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2102
I cant remove it without dismantling the whole laptop. Behind the door just under it is one of the memory banks
juliasdream
Grafter

Quote from: StickyMick
At a guess I'd say the firmware of the drive has probably been trashed.
Does it show up in device manager? If it does then make a note of the manufacturer and model No then Google search for the firmware and see if it will re-install that.

I tried to find the driver for Toshiba R2102 but no luck.
Found a forum entry saying this: "Support for the optical drive is native to Windows.  There is no driver to download from Toshiba."
It was suggested that I delete the driver from Device Manager then go to Add new hardware in windows but I'm not sure if that is wise
I will also wait for a response from samuria
I just noticed too that neither SP2 nor 3 are set up on Windows so I was wondering too if that could make any difference
StickyMick
Grafter

You're not looking for a "driver", it's a "firmware", they're two different things. "Firmware" is a small program that resides in the drives electronics and tells Windows what the drive is capable of, the type of media it supports, the speeds at which it can read and write that media, which versions of Windows can support that drive and who manufactured the drive. The driver is a small program that resides in Windows itself and allows the O/S to communicate with the drive.
Installing SP3 would be a good starting point. Also see if there's an option in the BIOS to force it to scan for or auto detect the drive again.
Does the drive light flash or flicker just after you press the power button to start the laptop?
samuria
Grafter

Its strange it doesnt show in the bios but show correctly in windows. Does it say working correctly in windows device manager?
Try in the bios loading bios default or reset depending how its worded change the order in the bios to boot from cd floppy hd. Disable anything you dont use in the bios like printer port, infra red ports. try again try both cd's and dvds it could have thrown a wobbler and only read cd's.
You dont need and drivers if you remove it from device manager and reboot it should add its self if it does that then some part is working ok for windows to see it. If after that it wont boot from a cd and wont read a cd then it is probably  knackered but as suggested a firmware update may fix it. You can try SP3 but it shouldnt make any difference. You dont say what the virus was but with so many windows could be corrupt after all that. If you can find anyway to reinstall windows that would be good like floppy and usb drive?
Have you tried more than one bootable cd in case the laser is a bit off line a linux live cd would be good
juliasdream
Grafter

I've tried searching for firmware and get too much information. I seem to be able to find firmware for various DVD drives but none appear to be specifically for the 2102 and I'm afraid of getting the wrong download. Toshiba website is like a maze when not searching for one of their complete systems. At the moment I'm feeling stumped
StickyMick
Grafter

I've located this one here: http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/bios_firmware/optical_drives/companies/toshiba/models/sd-r2102/8332...
But prior to attempting to install it, it might be wise to contact HP to hear what they have to say about it.