cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop CD drive connectors

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Laptop CD drive connectors

I thought there would be just one type of connector on the back of a laptop CD drive, so basically, you could just unplug one drive, and plug in another. There does seem to be some kind of standard connector - a 50-way ATAPI, but I have a CD drive with a non-standard connector, which I am trying identify. It is a bit like the standard 50-way ATAPI, but is longer. I dont know how many connector pins it has.
I wouldn't mind, but it is a replacement for a failed Panasonic UJDA360, and claims to be a Panasonic UJDA360. I have searched the web for descriptions of  these connectors, but have found only the ATAPI, not this one.
I know the simple solution is to go to a different drive, but my curiosity is getting the better of me. What is this connector?
TIA
3 REPLIES 3
samuria
Grafter

Re: Laptop CD drive connectors

The drive you quote is a IDE drive and should have a standard connection unless its  a OEM special version.
Basically the only options are IDE/EIDE or SCUSSI  there was an older system that had its own card like and ide but that should be long gone by now
jnwright
Grafter

It appears on the internet that the UJDA360 is usually supplied as a bare drive with the standard connector that Panasonic / Matsushita fit.  The individual laptop manufacturer then fits their own unique adapter within the hardware that they use to mate it to the individual laptop.
An example of instructions for a similar Panasonic drive can be found here.
Another note says:
BUYER should be able and have the skill to dismantle the existing mounting bracket screws on the Buyer’s existing Drive for use on the NEW Bare drive if purchased.
Existing Signal Connector adapter if any at the back of your existing drive also may be used on the New Drive Signal Centralised Connector.
Though the Dismantaling work is NOT difficult to do though, Care should be taken by the BUYER when Installing Back this Signal Connector and the Brackets, so as not to cause physical or electrical damage during the mechanical mounting.
Ensure when installing back, that your existing Adapting-Signal Connector is Isolated / Insulated Against the Metalic Surface of the Drive, that is, the Adapting-Signal Connector is isolated by your existing PlasticMounting Bracket.
Looking at the UJDA360 drive supplied by PCHub, their notes for the drive states:
*You Must Have Your Own Caddy, Bezel Or The Mounting bracket / Adaptor To Be Fixed To This Bare Internal Optical Drive. Burning software not included.
So it looks that you either buy a bare drive and transfer the fittings or, you go to the specific laptop manufacturer and purchase a drive already modified to fit the laptop.
You say the simple solution is to go to a different drive.  I think you'll have more problems if you try that, as it seems laptop manufacturers use their own proprietary adapters and this may not be transferable to another drive model.
You need to search out your toolkit and swap the bits!
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks fellas. I'll give it a go, and hope for success.
Have a good Easter