Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Blue Screen of Death (sort of)

Starks
Dabbler

Laptop Blue Screen of Death (sort of)

Hi All,
I have a fault with my laptop (Sony Vaio - not sure of the model number off the top of my head) that I'm not sure how to resolve so I'm looking for any help.
Last week my developed a problem whereby when it was turned on windows (XP) would load up as normal until the desktop was visible, I would then get a flash of a blue screen with some writing (too quick to read) then the laptop would restart and this process would repeat on a continual loop.
I've been able to establish that this only happens when I have the wireless capabilities of the laptop switched on. If it's switched off the laptop starts up and works fine, as soon as the switch is moved to the on position then the blue screen apears and the laptop restarts.
I don't think it's anything to do with the actual internet connection as my PS3 connects fine.
To make me even more confused I've given the laptop to a mate of mine who works in an IT department and he's just called me to say it works fine and that while on the phone he was browsing the bbc website.
Any suggestions on what the problem/how to resolve it would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Laptop Blue Screen of Death (sort of)

Assuming you still have problems when you get your computer back, try running System Restore to restore the settings back to a time before the problem arose.  That's Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore .
Starks
Dabbler

Thanks.
I'll give that a try if I still have the problem.
KenA
Grafter

You can also finr the STOP error code by looking at the Windows System Event Log (start / run / eventvwr)
Then Google for the STOP code and see what it says, or post it here and we'll suggest something.