cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Battery causing crashes and failures???!!

bubbalicious
Grafter

Laptop Battery causing crashes and failures???!!

Hello Clever Peeps, Hoping someone can help me sort out what on earth is going on with my Laptop please? Sorry this is so long but when you read it hopefully you'll see why! Undecided
Model Sony Vaio FZ31M.cek running Windows Vista.
Before Christmas it was sent away under an extended warranty policy with the folliwing problems, clicking noise when laptop starts up, slow and freezing, was running hot. One thing was driving me carzy was I was getting errors when the battery was in the laptop I had 'operating system not found' start up failures and blue screen crashes. The battery had only 5minutes even when fully charged, but these errors were happening when the battery was in place and I was running power through the AC adapter - take the battery out and they stopped! 
As it was covered for hardware under an extended warranty I purchased I sent it away and they repalaced the hard drive blaming that, for the over heating they did a 'blow out and regrease' and sent it back to me! The battery is not covered unless there is a fault with it over just being rundown apparently!
But I am still getting these wierd happenings when the battery is in place,(I now have just under 2minutes battery) fully charged, but when its in and running through the AC  the non start up, operating system not found and blue screen crashes occur, the clicking has stopped!  Take the battery out and it runs Okay!
The engineers have it again and speaking to them today they are not sure what is going on so have put it down to it being the battery, the chap today said the battery charges fine but drops it's charge straight away (sorry does this mean my battery is dead or is it a fault? simple question he wouldn't give me a simple answer).  I don't want to pay out £150 for a new Sony battery if the errors are something else that leave me having to keep the battery out and the idea of having a big hole in bottom of laptop if I chose not to use a battery isn't one I can live with!
???I am confused, they are confusing me even more and I don't know what to think!  I don't know how all the insides of laptops link together, but why would a battery being in place yet not being powered by that battery lead to no operating system being found etc!!
I have had times when the battery had a good length of charge when I would move the laptop to the printer etc and the battery had 85% of charge remaining when all of a sudden the power would shut down!  My Vista Power options had if the battery was to deplete as I was using it then the laptop would go into Hibernate or Hybrid Sleep, yet these times it was just going off with no hibernate etc coming in - if that makes sense, it was as if I had taken the batttery out!  The battery does sit a little loose, it's always wobbled about but I was told it was normal! No one could explain why this happened as now they can't with this issue!
I would so very appreciate someone giving me some ideas to what could be happening, I feel as if they are taking advantage that I don't understand massive amounts about laptops insides, I'd love to be able to ask the right things and make them think that perhaps they can't just 'fob me off'. £150 for a new battery is an expensive mistake if it isn't the remedy - especially id the problems happen having replaced it!
Crikey it's warranty was through one High Street Electrical group (Black and yellow one) yet they managed to loose it and it turned up at the other PC High Street groups Service Centre, so I don't have much confidence in them-don't know if i am allowed to mention names??!!
Lovely, kind people thanks for being patient and understanding and sorry for the eye strain my 'short message' causes!! Crazy
11 REPLIES 11
bubbalicious
Grafter

Re: Laptop Battery causing crashes and failures???!!

Sorry Peeps,  Tongue
I'm using my fathers laptop whilst mine is with the service centre (the laptop in my posting) and I have just found a text message telling me he is taking it to his companies head office to exchange it for a new one. He won't be back until thursday evening so I am loosing internet access until then!  Unless of course the service centre decides to return mine in the meantime!
I am very sorry to have posted when I can't reply straight away, I would have waited until I could access the forum constantly but I posted before the text message came in.
Please don't think I am rude not responding to any replies - I am just unable to get online!
Thanks again for being patient & understanding Kiss
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

I realise its not the most technical guess but, I had something similar occur with my wife's laptop, which was fine when used on a desk, but often gave trouble when she sat in her armchair as the air exhaust was up against the arm of the chair or a cushion blocking the air-flow leading to overheating. A simple reorganisation cured the problem.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Morning Sally.
Hope you are well, Its a long long time since we last saw you on here.
At least you didnt have to take it back to PCW or the DGS group.  Hope your DVD back up was ok before they changed your HDD
Santiago
Grafter

Remove the battery and run the laptop on mains supply only.
If the laptop works OK in this way then you probably need to replace the battery
I had a similar problem recently and a new (secondhand from ebay) battery solved all the issues.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=74602.0
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80304.0.html
I hope this helps
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its probable that the Battery charging is overloading the power supply, does the power lead fit into the socket OK, I have had two laptops that needed work done, the socket had burnt the motherboard in both cases
bubbalicious
Grafter

Well, surpise this afternoon when my laptop was delivered to me!!  No engineers report so don't know what they have done - very helpful!!
It came home at 4.30pm, so far 2 blue screen crashes, one was when the laptop was on, no programs etc open, and just went blue. The other one was when I had open the internet explorer!  I can't restore using System Restore,even after disabling anti-virus which is what I usually need to do, and finally tonight when I shut it down, It took 30mins to do so.!  Even without the battery I am getting these things so now I am even more confused!! Crazy
I am beginning to wonder if it is something I am doing, I had the new hard drive in Jan, I ran a recovery using Sony recovery Disks I made when I first bought the laptop last week and the problems carried on and am debating whether to do another one  - is it worth it?  My other choice is to take it in to a store and ask them to look at it!  Does it sound like a hard ware issue, or software, does the blue screen indicate either?
Oh guys, I think I need my hard drive replacing - my brain is frazzled with all this! 
As always any advice is so very much appreciated.
Cry
RE THE BATTERY, until i sort out what else is going on I am holding off buying a new one. the idea preposed of a second hand one is very attractive given the Sony prices, I had a quick look though and it seems they aren't easily available for my model. 
I have checked the AC Adapter but I had to replace mine about a month ago so it all fits well. I always ensure vents, etc aren't blocked and mostly the laptop it sits on tables.  I also bought a surge protector for the plug in case it was something happening with the power. Thanks for the ideas.

Pierre, Pierre, lovely to see you are still generously sharing your clever brain with us who don't have one!  Thanks to you guys I have learnt my lesson about backing up and now routinely back up to an external Hard Drive & to be sure to DVD's aswell - following the forum advice - thank goodness otherwise I would have lost a lot this time!
Still having dealings with PCW - this laptop was from the other one beginning with C. the courier was supposed to deliver it to C's Service Centre but instead it turned up at the PCW service centre!! Don't ask me how it ended up there even with correct labels etc, but wierdly PCW were the ones who managed to solve my lost laptop crisis, they found my name on it and I am still in their system  (with a big red flag next to my name no doubt) so they managed to track me down and return it!! - I think I must be laptop jinxed!!
bubbalicious
Grafter

Laptop is going back to the engineers - the DVD/Blu ray drive is now not working either - hopefully this time all will get sorted! Still not sure about the battery, I think the idea of a second hand one seems the best option!
Cheers peeps
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: bubbalicious
Still having dealings with PCW - this laptop was from the other one beginning with C. the courier was supposed to deliver it to C's Service Centre but instead it turned up at the PCW service centre!! Don't ask me how it ended up there even with correct labels etc, but wierdly PCW were the ones who managed to solve my lost laptop crisis, they found my name on it and I am still in their system  (with a big red flag next to my name no doubt) so they managed to track me down and return it!! - I think I must be laptop jinxed!!

CLUE:  They are part of the same group:  DSGI Cry      (Currys, Dixons, PCW and / or Equanet if you're a business customer)  at work we've justed dumped them as a supplier because of continued billing issues Cheesy
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bubbalicious
Grafter

Sorry the 'C' I mean is Comet,  apologies I forgot about Currys being a 'C' too!!!
dick:quote
bubbalicious
Grafter

Sorry since I posted this the laptop has been back and forward for repairs and I haven't managed to get online for a while to reply!
I heard today that the warranty office providing my extended warranty have now written the laptop off, engineers determined there was so much failing that something was fundamentally wrong that was too expensive to put right  - now all I have to do is select a new one!
Have I been unlucky with the Sony? bought in april 2008 and in  since just before christmas 09 they have replaced the Hard drive, ac adapter,  dvd/blu ray drives, the fan, something  to do with the touch pad and the last things before they decided to write it off was another bluray, the motherboard, and this battery they determined had gone so quickly because of the connection to the motherboard so was being replaced too!  And then they managed to damage the laptop outer casing when they were taking it apart -  apart from the screen it has had  a fault with everything - out of the last 11 weeks I have had my laptop for 6 days the rest of the time it has been in for repairs or sent to the wrong companies repair centre!
So  now I don't need a new battery (and boy am I happy I didn't buy one earlier) just a new laptop!!

PS I am so very, very sorry for doing anything wrong quoting in my previous reply I really didn't mean to!!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

If you came here a bit more often Sally, you would get used to how the Forum works  Smiley Smiley
You probably hit the quote button instead of the reply under the posting.
The Forum rules are
you should not fully quote the immediate post but can if there has been a page flip or several intervening posts
Lots of Love Pierre