cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LaCie Ethernet Disk mini

netreg
Grafter

LaCie Ethernet Disk mini

hi, just got my new NAS drive and am having a play...  Does any other PN user have one...
this may sound like a stupid question, but how do the shares work..  I created a couple of test shares, but it doesnt ask/show how much space is allocated to each share..  so i presume it uses all available space and then keeps the files separated according to which share you placed it in...
Huh 
thanks
7 REPLIES 7
prichardson
Grafter

Re: LaCie Ethernet Disk mini

If it's like most other basic NAS drives, then is allocates the whole disk to the share.
Space this then used ona  first come first served basis.
netreg
Grafter

understood!!  thanks for the reply
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
In your case I couldn't find any reference to quotas- so you'll have to keep an eye on each share if you always want to have space available in one.

thank you for looking into it...
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Because I haven't ever had to control NAS, how is it configured/monitored etc? I'm thinking that you would have to set up the RAID system and decide which filesystems to use and how big each one is etc...
Is it economic to run NAS for a couple of PC's?
The PC I'm writing this on has an internal SCSI drive + a yucky SATA drive (used for archives etc).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

RAID is not related to NAS - NAS is just Network Attached Storage.
Its most simple form is an external HDD with an ethernet port. (Although it can scale upwards to full scale servers with big arrays if you need to)
If you want to control the amount of space each shared folder has, the easiest way is to use mount points on a windows box. Whether this will work on the model of NAS that you have or not, I don't know.
As an example:
You have a 100GB HDD
Create a volume which is 1GB in size.
Create an empty folder called WIFE
Use the unallocated space to create an additional volume 4GB in size, specifying that you want to mount the volume in an empty NTFS folder.
Choose the folder WIFE.
What will appear to happen is that you will have a 1GB drive, with a single folder inside it.
That folder will have its own 'free space' based upon its maximum size of 4GB.
You can 'mount' as many folders as you have space for, and if you have unallocated space, you can extend the space allocated to each one.
You can assign permissions to each folder 'mount point' to manage access if required.
If this doesn't work, and it just appears as one big space, and there isn't an option to allow quotas, you may be stuck with the first-come-first-served basis for the entire device.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Thanks for the info.
I haven't got a NAS - just curious.
It wouldn't make sense to use networked storage unless it was for multiple computers - hence the assumption that RAID of some kind would be used.
In my case, I would be looking at Linux accessible NAS anyway.
I've looked at Wikipedia (which I should have done first).
For home use NAS is looking like a cheap (relatively) and cheerful file server.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Thats more or less the size of it.
I noticed a couple the other day in PC World (*spits*) that also stream media to TV/Audio devices for not much money.
[me=James_H]wonders what he was doing in PCWorld, perhaps he has expenses that need claiming this month - goes to look.[/me]