cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KompoZer

Not applicable

KompoZer

As posted in another section, I am hoping to begin a short web design course (basic of course) next month.
They use Dreamweaver but as this is only a 'play time' hobby I certainly do not want to spend that kind of
money on the project.
Looking in the Ubuntu repository I have downloaded KompoZer and it seems fairly straightforward although I
obviously need to study it a bit more.
Please could I have opinions on its suitability? I know that I will possibly have to do a lot of converting and of course I
shall contact the tutor about it.  Only problem is that he probably won't have used Linux or the programme in question.
As always, grateful for comments.
10 REPLIES 10
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: KompoZer

Depends on what you are wanting to do with it.
Look <a href="http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=440746">here</a> for a discussion on the alternatives.
I have used Kompozer for editing HTML and it is fine, but then again so is gedit  Wink
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice - only want to do very basic things.
Will wait until class starts to see what's what. Meanwhile, won't do any harm to have a play with
KompoZer and Bluefish.
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

There is a Windows version of KompoZer here - http://www.kompozer.net/ - if your tutor can't cope with Linux, but I probably shouldn't be saying that in this forum.
I remember trying it out some time ago but did not continue using it for some reason  ...so not much help there I'm afraid.
You can also get  a 30day free trial download of Dreamweaver from Adobe, but again I probably shouldn't be saying that here Roll_eyes
Not applicable

Have been told to wait to download the 30-day free trial until the course starts so will hang fire for now.
Glad to know I'm not the only one with the bad memory!  Grin
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

poppy,
from your other thread
Checked Amazon and eBay and I will be able to get it cheaper once registered at the college.

If you qualify ( over 50 and not in full time employment ) you might want to look at joining your local U3A group. My wife is a member and recently got a newsletter advising that U3A is accepted as a bona-fide institution as regards qualifying for for academic discounts on software.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Not applicable

That is very interesting as I meet all criteria.  I am already a member of U3A and will be going back to classes when they begin in September.
Got outbid on the eBay one but TBH was a bit concerned about the validity of it. Thanks for advice.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You can do a lot worse than komposer its a good introduction to web building because of its 3 views. Try and stick  wysiwyg types or"what you see is what you get" That way you can build your page pretty similar to doing it the way you would with a word document just typing and copying images into it then you can change to the code view and see what you did in html. Komposer has all three and in split screen so adding an image to the page will show you how that looks html on the same screen.
if your tutor can't cope with Linux, but I probably shouldn't be saying that in this forum.

It won't make a difference which OS you use it on both versions are identical once running, I'm sure her tutor can open the program  Wink
Another point may be if your going to get right into it and it's long term it may be worth your while buying a decent one like dreamweaver from day one, once you get used to Komposer there will be time needed to get used to how dream weaver does things.
Not applicable

Thanks for that. Now I know why it is different to Bluefish - I opened the same web page in each one yesterday and the latter was all code whereas KompoZer was obvious and clear (WYSIWYG presumably?).  Easy is good right now!  Wink
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Yeah Poppy Komposer is WYSIWYG, which is why I would highly recommend it. It's what I first started with to get a basic grasp of html.
There are three views html, a page just like word and a published page showing you what it will look like when its actually uploaded to your site.
I think this is for you, other free ones will edit the html but you will need to understand html to start with and probably knock you off.
Another handy thing you may want to download is Filezilla http://filezilla-project.org/ available in both linux from the repo or windows from that link. If I remember right Komposer doesn't upload you site from your PC to your host site although I haven't played with it for a while so it maybe does now. BTW its also free.
I look forward to seeing your site  Smiley
Not applicable

Have got gFTP on my Ubuntu lappy and AceFTP 3 on Windows 7 one.
Not much of what I am planning to do will be of much good to my forum which is phpbb and all up and running.  However, might be able to tweak the home page and will be more confident with doing things on the server (hopefully).
At the mo it's like a major operation just adding smilies to the forum - I have to psyche myself up and my hands shake!  Grin
Hope to just do a simple site for one of my pals but not sure if I will put it online.
Thanks for advice.