Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kindle and netgear.

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Kindle and netgear.

I hate the kindle with a vengeance
It sees my netgear DG834Gv5 but never really connects. I've had a connection with no wireless security but WPA and WPA2 dont work.
I bought it as a present for my wife on my amazon account so its frustrating not even to be able to change the name at the top of the screen from my account name to hers.
Goodness me its annoying.
11 REPLIES 11
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Kindle and netgear.

Have you tried WEP security?
That's RPM to you!!
the_groundsman
Rising Star

yep - thanks
No luck with that old stuff either.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Which wireless channel are you using.
My Kindle won't connect on channel 12 but when I changed my router to channel 10 or below it connected no problem.
Edit: Just re-tried it. Set channel 12 on router and Kindle lost WiFi. Changed back to 11 and it reconnected.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Many devices follow USA 'standards' and only recognise channels 1 to 11.
Possible suggestion, maybe worth a punt, can you try changing the SSID and WPA passkey to 8 characters or less, I've come across certain devices that don't like long SSIDs or passkeys.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Hadn't considered that - thanks
I was in chan 3 ,tried 1 but neither work unfortunately
kmilburn
Grafter

I had a similar problem,  which appeared to be a compatibility problem with 802.11n...
After changing the settings on the router to use b/g only, the kindle connected at the first attempt.
One problem I;ve seen recently,  a friends wireless camera had the same problem, and this fix worked,  until one of his neighbors got a wireless N router, and the camera will no longer connect to his own network!   Angry
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Already tried  "b"  "g" and "b or g" thanks. I'm afraid we haven't gone for the heady heights of wireless n technology  yet.
I took the kndle to work where we have a local wireless network running of a belkin n home router and got a connection straight away. I managed to sort the kindle out by doing a factory reset and re registering it. |I'm resigned to managing the darn thing via a usb connection now.
For something that purports to be so simple to use it is by far the most unfriendly wireless client I have come across. It even beats the Roku Soundbridge (if you have one you will know what I mean).
I am suspecting though that the real culprit is the netgear DG834g. I seem to remember about 4-5 years ago this was the router of choice for many though I have v5 and the best was considered to be an early version. I could get a free router from PN I think for £5 p&p as I've never had a PN router supplied. are they any good?
At the moment the netgear isn't liking my blackberry (UMA is flaky as we have a shocking mobile signal ) and the kindle. WE are quite a greedy household with around 12 different wireless clients though it would be exceptional for them all to be on the network at the same time.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Umm... Have you tried giving these problematic devices a static local IP address on the Netgear? You have to connect them up first to be able to add their MAC address (or if you can find it on the device, add manually).
Choose something within the same subnet but far enough away from the start of the DHCP pool.
That's RPM to you!!
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Get the free router, PN sent me the Thompson TG582n and downloading stuff to my Kindle is a dream, not had a single problem with anything I have downloaded to my Kindle on the Wi-Fi connection.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
bobboulby
Grafter

The DG834g seems to be getting a bit of stick in this thread so I thought I'd better offer some defence!  I've been using one for years (a v3) with no problems including connecting to a Kindle.
Bob.
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Like I said Bob eveybody seemed to be in love with the old versions but the v5 is the one I'm having trouble with.
I've tried all the advice here ( that includes the static IP associated with the devise MAC) and more and still no luck