cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kindle Fire

valart
Grafter

Kindle Fire

I am thinking of getting a Kindle Fire 16gb from Amazon priced at £119 can someone advise me about this because I have never had a tablet before.
11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Kindle Fire

I'd consider the Hudl from Tesco, same price but better spec and not 'amazonised'

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

What objective/type of use did you have in mind for the tablet? Are you familiar with a smart phone? Using a touch screen can be a bit of a culture shock for first time users.
David
RichAllen
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
I'd consider the Hudl from Tesco, same price but better spec and not 'amazonised'

I would concur with this, if you buy a Kindle Fire, you are saddled with exclusively buying Kindle books and/or apps from Amazon, whereas with the Hudi, you can buy apps from anywhere, even Amazon (I think)
hitachi
Grafter

It only takes a couple of changes in the setting to let a Fire download from other app stores, but the hudl is better speced anyway.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thought you could use Calibre to convert any e-book or pfd  to mobi for reading on the Kindle ?
So you could download from various sources to your computer, convert and then transfer to your Kindle ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
valart
Grafter

You say that it is amonzonised but there seems to lots of Tesco adverts on this table looking at you tube.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The hudl does have a couple of tesco apps but they can easily be removed. It is however a pretty standard Android build and has access, out of the box, to the play store. The kindle is an Amazon rework of Android and links to their app store although as hitachi says it can be set to access others.
The bottom line though is that hudl has a much better spec for the same price.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

valart
Grafter

It looks like I will be getting the Hudl based on what as been said in this forum is it easy to set up connection to PN and is the password which is underneath my router is the one to log intoon this tablet,I already have a ipod touch but I find it too small to handle.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It should be simple to connect via wireless to your PN router. The default wireless key is, as you say, printed under the router. You can download a hudl userguide from here http://ttselectrical.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3529 if you wish to read it beforehand

wykehamhouse
Grafter

I wouldn't recommend the Kindle Fire at all. It's horribly slow and all it is is Amazon charging you to put a skin on Android (with half of its features removed).
I would look at the Hudl as mentioned or the Nexus 7. If you want to read books, etc. there is the Kindle app on the Play Store, along with other similar apps.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It might be worth mentioning that you need a Google account to use the Hudl. If you don't already have one you can sign up for one during set-up but I think it is easier to do this beforehand on your computer. Visit http://www.google.co.uk and click the Sign in icon top right. Follow the link to create a new account.
David