Did you mean: 

Kill

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Kill

Another Linux question.

A long time ago, when I was pratting about with Linux mint 12 or 13,  I remember someone told me about how to get an icon on the lower task bar to "kill" a program that would not shut down, or was misbehaving, like "hanging" and no amount of clicking on the "close" or the "X" would shift it...

Can someone, please, tell me how to get that icon again.

Thankyou.

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Kill

@shutter - If you open a console (terminal Window) you can use:

top -u gerry

This will display the details of the processes you are running,

Get the PID value from the left column of the process you want to kill then either

enter K PID and press enter.

Or use q to exit top then in the same console enter:

sudo kill -SIGKILL PID

where PID is the value you got from the PID column in the top output.

shutter
Community Veteran

It was much more simple than that... It was just an icon that was placed on the bottom task bar, and if clicked on it you could kill off an errant program with one or two clicks... same thing as CTRL ALT DEL  .> task manager. on windows

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could it be the 'Force Kill' option of the application itself? If you right click on the Application's Icon on the task bar then right click on it you'll get the option to Quit but on a hung process that can change to 'Force Kill / Quit'.

shutter
Community Veteran

@RichardB  Thanks for the linky... have bookmarked it, as I am not on Linux at the moment...

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous  I am not sure.... It is just a "distant memory"... and something that I wanted to use yesterday, when things were not going according to plan... but having deleted the partition,  and Mint 19... it is no longer immediately relevant for that computer... however, for my other laptop... It would be nice if I can get that icon back on the lower task bar...

The name may not be correct... but it was something "strong" like KILL..

Thanks for your time, and efforts guys... maybe it will come to someone, in time ! ! !Wink

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Fix

@shutter wrote:

A long time ago, when I was pratting about with Linux mint 12 or 13,  I remember someone told me about how to get an icon on the lower task bar to "kill" a program that would not shut down, or was misbehaving, like "hanging" and no amount of clicking on the "close" or the "X" would shift it...

Can someone, please, tell me how to get that icon again.

If you're using MATE try the Force Quit panel applet.

Force_Quit.png

I believe there's a Cinnamon spice which will do the same on that DE.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What you want is the killall command.

Alternatively install htop if you want to selectively kill things.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@TheRoadCrew  Yahoo!... I think that is the one I was looking for.... Great. thanks very much...

Wink

shutter
Community Veteran

For the benefit of other LINUX NUMPTIES, like me.... Embarrassed

Place the mouse cursor on the "lower task bar".. (bottom of the screen).. ( known as "the panel" in linux speak, apparently ! ! )... right click, and then click "Add to Panel...  "

This brings up a menu list... and you scroll down until you find  "Force Quit "    ... then select it, and click "Add" . then "close".

. the Icon then appears in the "lower task bar"  (aka "the panel" ).. Cheesy

VileReynard
Hero

Do you have an upper "task bar" in Mint?

I don't - although you can add extra panels if you want.

Remember that you can use CTRL+ALT+F1 thru CTRL+ALT+F6 to get additional true command entry screens.

CTRL+ALT+F7 takes you back to the GUI screen.

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   C`mon Foxy... you know very well, that I am  "windows geek" trying my hardest to be a "linux geek"... and you also know that on Windows there is a taskbar at the top of the screen...  interestingly, you recognise the term "lower task bar", by asking the question " is there an upper task bar on Mint".   therefore the analogy and the confusion caused by the different terms in Linux, compared to windows, is one of the major reasons why becoming a linux geek, like you, takes a lot of getting used to the differences between the two systems.

The term for the lower task  bar in Linux seems to be "the panel"....but that is not an "obvious" term to be associated with what you also call the "lower task bar" in your somewhat confusing post, as, generally speaking, a "panel" would be something like a pop out menu or small window to most people, I am sure.

Your suggestion for all those complicated alternatives, makes learning how to  "get along with" Linux even more difficult, rather than being helpful.

VileReynard
Hero

Actually, you have a choice of different Desktop Environments ("DE's") for any given Distro - so please ignore what I said about taskbars / panels.

But as for Terminology, it doesn't matter what you call these things - it is usually clear from the context.

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard wrote:

But as for Terminology, it doesn't matter what you call these things - it is usually clear from the context.

As explained in post number 11  on this thread. Roll_eyesRoll_eyesRoll_eyes