cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyword blocking, Netgear DG834G and PSP

pjemmanuel
Grafter

Keyword blocking, Netgear DG834G and PSP

I've got a little problem with keyword blocking on my network.
The router is a DG834G, that's the 54Mbit wireless version, there's one wired PC (mine) and two wireless laptops (the kids' machines). There are a few others, but these three are the main ones.
I use keyword blocking in the router to prevent access to certain sites, mainly for advert blocking, but there are a couple of others in there to keep one of the kids out.
One in particular ebuddy.com, which if you haven't come across, is a site to allow you to use MSN Messenger amongst others without having the MSN client installed.
The keyword block works perfectly on all the three regular PCs and any others that I allow to connect in from time to time. The only thing is, and I've only found this out today, the PSP (Play Station Portable) can connect to any of the blocked sites without a problem.
I've spent the last couple of hours on this and I'm running out of ideas. I've checked that the PSP is definitely connecting to my router and that it was correctly getting an IP address in my LAN range, all that is fine. No matter what I change, the PSP just seems to be able to bypass the blocking in the router.
Has anyone come across this before, do you know how to fix it?
20 REPLIES 20
godsell4
Rising Star

Re: Keyword blocking, Netgear DG834G and PSP

Does the Dg834G rely on the PSP using the automatically assigned DNS settings to be enable on the PSP?
What DNS is the PSP using?
This is a wild guess!
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Good call, but I've tried that. I've tried setting the PSPs DNS server to the plusnet servers manually.
I've tried setting the DNS server to the router manually.
By default, it will automatically configure the DNS which incidentally is how the two laptops get their settings. Getting the settings automatically, the laptops get the DNS servers 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.13.49. Both the laptops respect the keyword blocking in the router but the PSP seems to be able to get straight through.
I've been playing with it again tonight and just to try, I added bbc to the blocked keyword list. All the computers get the "Blocked by Netgear" black page, the PSP is quite happily browsing the site. I've looked to see if there is any proxy server enabled on the PSP and I've set it to no proxy, just in case.
The solution still evades me.
samuria
Grafter

Are you sure the PSP is actually using your router and not picking up another router somewhere? Check on the router that its going via the router ok
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Yeah, that was one of my first checks. There are only two wireless setups around me, mine and a home hub, both are secured. The PSP is definitely picking up an IP address in the range of my router - the LAN range I've set is not the default range for a netgear but it is in the 192.168.x.x range allowed for private nets. The PSP also shows up in the attached devices and it is on the allowed MAC list.
Everything seems correct and everything works as I'd expect except for the keyword blocking.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I've just tried it on my PSP, i have a DG834PN - though hoping it isn't too dissimilar.
Sad to say that it works ok, it's blocked on my Mac, Desktop, Laptop and PSP.
Is your PSP firmware up to date?
[EDIT:]Spelling.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pjemmanuel
Grafter

The PSP says it has firmware 3.60 installed, but there is a newer version available and as soon as the battery is charged I'm going to update it.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

OK. It's now at 3.95.
I've double checked the network settings, it's showing up in my router "attached devices" list. It's IP is in my LAN range, DNS servers are 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.13.49, picked up automatically. The default router is at the IP address of my router and proxy is off.
It still manages to get to ebuddy.com even though none of the other machines on the LAN can get there.
samuria
Grafter

For ebudy what keywords are you blocking? I wonder if its cached the ip for ebudy so it doesnt search for ebudy just uses the ip in which case it wouldnt be blocked. Does new sites work on the word blocking?
is there a way on the psp to clear history cache etc?
dvorak

My PSP hasn't cahced the IP, i went to ebuddy viewed it and then blocked it again and the PSP won't find it.
There is an option to delete cache, cookies and history under the tools option of the PSP browser.
Customer / Moderator
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I really can't see what's happening with this stupid little machine.
I've re checked the settings tonight. Definitely using my router. Put the DNS servers in manually, 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.6.9. I emptied all the caches I could find on the PSP, history, cookie, whatever I could find, I deleted.
I am currently blocking the keyword ebuddy, no .com or anything, just ebuddy. All the PCs on the network respect the block. I also added, just for test of course, plus.net because I know that has not been used on the PSP and so cannot possibly be cached. Just for good measure, I also blocked google.
Now none of my computers can't get to google, ebuddy nor plus.net but the PSP can still reach them - ever have one of those really niggly faults that just won't be fixed?!?
pjemmanuel
Grafter

@adiewoo
Just out of interest, is your PSP the newer slimline model? Then again, would it make a difference if it was the old model or the new one.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Aha, there has been a development, I've been experimenting. The PSP cannot be passing the URL properly through the router, it must be doing something clever with the IP address.
I took ebuddy out of the keyword list and I found the IP address for it. I put that into the firewall rules as block always and now all the computers on the LAN don't get the Blocked by Netgear page, they just sit there doing nothing because the address is unreachable. The PSP is also unable to get through, so blocking the IP address prevents the PSP from connecting even though the keyword block doesn't. It's not ideal, but at least I can block the site now.
dvorak

Glad you have got it sorted, mine is the old school model - first week purchase Smiley
I have never seen the blocked by netgear page - it always just returns a blank page on mine.
Customer / Moderator
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Wait until your offspring find another "proxy". There are dozens of them. [sites, not offspring]

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."