Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Keyboard

My wife dropped her laptop (not very far) but clutching at it touched something or other, and now can't input text into anywhere were its needed; word processor, url's etc. And I can't see why.
No doubt its something very simple, it usually is with me.
Any help please.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
4 REPLIES 4
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Keyboard

Check all the control keys aren't stuck, see if the caps lock etc work. If not then she may have loosened the connection. Google for how to remove the keyboard and re-connect the flexable connector.
petlew
Pro

Thank you HB.
Thought I would see what happened with a reboot. I have keyboard input at logon password. But not in anything else. So I conclude that the keyboard itself is Ok.  It seems as if Windows (10) has disabled keyboard input
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
NedLudd
Grafter

This site http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984712/windows/how-to-enter-windows-10s-safe-mode.html
may help you boot to safe mode where you may be able to make repairs!
Geoff,
York.
nanotm
Pro

does the laptop have a touchpad with a button on it that lets you disable the touchpad when you plug a mouse into it ?
one of my kids had an issue with his after the w10 upgrade and it turned out to be that button not working properly, it disabled the keyboard as well as the touchpad, he normally used the machine with an external keyboard and mouse but needed to use it somewhere else, having left it in sleep mode when he disconnected the system he was able to hit the power key and enter the password but then nothing would work once windows loaded /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you