cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kaspersky unable to install due to remnants of AV8

tgr
Grafter

Kaspersky unable to install due to remnants of AV8

I have just bought Kaspersky internet security 2009 from Tesco for £17.99.  I followed the instructions to remove all other virus removers running which i did.  I had previously removed AVG 8 a couple of months ago from my computer and installed Avast in its place.  I removed Avast and  Zone Alarm prior  to installing Kaspersky from the CD.  The install started and got so far when a box with a  message came up to the effect that I needed to remove AVG8 before I could go any further.  At the bottom of the box was a button which said remove.  I highlighted AVG in the box and pressed the remove button.  This took me to the windows remove/add programmes area but of course AVG was not there as I had already removed it as previously said 2 months ago.
There must be some parts of AVG 8 still on my computer if so how do I remove them as kaspersky seems to get extremely good reviews and I would like to have it on my computer.  It is a HP Laptop with 250gb hard drive and is only a few months old running windows Vista.  It has all the specs for running kaspersky.  I would be grateful for any help or suggestions.  As a last resort I suppose I can ask for my money back but it would not surprise me if software is a category that Tesco  do not do refunds on. 
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Kaspersky unable to install due to remnants of AV8

I had a similar issue a while back where AVG wouldn't uninstall correctly.
There is this tool which should remove all aspects of AVG from your system.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Seconded. I saw the exact same problem recently and the AVG tool sorted it out.
tgr
Grafter

I notice there is a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version also an AVG identity protection remover.  Which is the one i will need
thank you
Gordon
KenA
Grafter

You'll need the same version as Windows.  If you right-click My Computer and look at Properties, and the version of Windows, it will say "x64" if you are runing the x64 version.  If it doesn't mention this, you are running the x86 (also known as 32-bit) version.
Also, with most AV & firewall programs, you will need to reboot immediately after uninstalling.  Just mentioning it in case you haven't.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I had the same problem a few days ago.
Wish I knew about the tool.
I manually went through the registry deleting entries which looked AVG related.
It worked, but probably safer to use the tool though Smiley
Not applicable

Like Alex, on one computer using AVG I picked out the remnants in the registry manually before installing Kaspersky.
With my own machine I just used Revo Uninstaller, cleaned up with CCleaner and re-booted prior to installing Kaspersky and all went OK.
I tend to use Revo for all programme removal now - luckily had no problems up to press.
tgr
Grafter

I would like to thank everyone for your help.  I tried the tool but it did not work.  I downloaded revo uninstaller and that too did not work.  I had a think about it, had a double whisky and decided that both programmes could not work because they just could no longer find the small remnants left.  Finished whisky and decided the answer was to re install AVG 8.5 which I did.  At this point I decided that both the uninstall progs would now probably work and remove all of avg8.5.  I chose the revo uninstaller and it completely removed AVG 8.5  I then inserted the kaspersky disc and it installed beautifully.  At 1 a.m. It was up and running and I decided another double whisky was in order and I retired to bed with same.
I have mainly written this to thank you fellows for pointing me in right direction and for others who may read this and have a similar problem.  If you do not drink omit the whisky just in case you end up wiping your hard drive completely Roll_eyes
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

I don't remember seeing any  suggestion that whisky would help.
For future reference, could you let us all know which brand of whisky.
Well done on the lateral thinking!
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Not applicable

Forgot to say that you would need to reinstall AVG before the Revo Uninstaller would work.
It's a super little software programme - I never use the Windows uninstaller now.
Well done - hope that you get on OK with Kaspersky - possibly you might need another double whisky to get your head around it.
I've had the security suite for about 3 months now and still don't understand it - I just leave it to get on with things without my help/interference.
Only thing that I have had to do is to fix the vulnerabilities which pop up on scanning from time to time and are usually related to Java and Flash. If this happens to you, would recommend that you uninstall the old version with Revo and reinstall the new one. Sometimes I have applied the new patch but KIS still throws it up as vulnerable. Seems to behave itself when I have completed the aforementioned procedure.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you wait till the Whisky wear off, probably find you installed the north korean version
tgr
Grafter

Thank you poppy.  I endorse what you say about revo uninstaller it is brilliant.  I also agree  kaspersky is extremely hard to understand.  Like you i just let it get on with it.  It gets brilliant reviews and is supposed to be the best but aren't they all Roll_eyes  Before I contacted the forum I tried their helpline which is permanently engaged and you are kept in a queue after two minutes I gave up and posted here and boy am I glad I did.  I suspect very few people  really know how to run kaspersky and the company  make a fortune out of people ringing them up.  Perhaps I am just an old cynic!
tgr
Grafter

For reference whisky was nothing posh just a supermarkets  own brand (40%)  I am 70 and have drunk whisky for years.  Used to always drink Malt, Glen Fiddich, Glen Morangie, Glen whatever and after many years decided the price of it was ridiculous and in fact the supermarket own brand has the same effect at a very  much lower price.  And yes I know there are experts out there who will tell you they can tell the different taste of any whisky even blindfolded but they are few and far between and mainly are just trying to impress others on their vast knowledge of whisky.  After a couple of home doubles they all taste the same (lol)  However this is getting a little off topic now.
Not applicable

Initially I joined the Kaspersky forum: http://forum.kaspersky.com/ and have had one or two queries dealt with there, particularly the vulnerability ones. I haven't telephoned Kaspersky but have used the email support facility within the Personal Cabinet. Have not been very satisfied with this, however, as they take a good few days to answer and the information has not always been helpful.