cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kaspersky Win 7 Cock–Up?

God
Grafter

Kaspersky Win 7 Cock–Up?

We are under a month away from general availability of Win 7 and it appears that Kaspersky have totally cocked-up their Win 7 Beta product. It has worked well for several months but has suddenly become so crippling that I have had to remove it from my system, this is really disappointing as for several years I have considered Kaspersky as a shining beacon of quality amongst the flotsam and jetsam of AV products.
For some reason the latest version will virtually paralyze a Win 7 system for non obvious reasons. The slow down can be caused by accessing many web sites, launching the Thesaurus from within Word or others innocuous actions, crazy.
As soon as you remove Kaspersky all is normal again. I am certain they will sort it out eventually, once there is enough noise for them to notice the issue, but what to do in the meantime?
I certainly don’t want to buy another product with another years licence to run on KIS.
1. Has anyone else had this problem?
2. What is the best free temporary solution, bearing in mind I would rather not run a paid competitor trial but go freeware until the problem is addressed?
Cheers...
25 REPLIES 25
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Kaspersky Win 7 Cock–Up?

I am using Avira on my Windows 7 installation with no problems
P.S, I am a Kaspersky Gold Beta tester and I am not touching it at the moment - one reason of course is they want it testing on the full release and all I have is the RC version
EDIT - just looked at the Kaspersky beta testing forum - what a shambles  Crazy
God
Grafter

Hi Jim
Thanks for coming up with the goods as usual! I will give Avira a try. Hopefull Kaspersky will get back on track, it's a bit late in the day for them to mess up considering regular customers will be wanting to install on fresh and final release systems in three weeks! As a Gold beta Tester do you have a decent feedback channel you could prod?
Cheeers
Peter
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Non at all - the beta testers have been shouting for months to get a beta test release for testing on the RC version and Kaspersky wouldn't budge. All that happened was that Wizard or Don Pelotas kept deleting threads.
We were assured that the internal testing was going very well and the beta testing would only be a tidying up exercise.
Load of rubbish that was.
Off topic a bit - have you seen that latest results from http://www.av-comparatives.org/ Kaspersky didn't do well at all. Somebody is dropping the ball.
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Very interesting.
As a Kaspersky user for several years on XP and with my my pre-ordered Windows 7 due before the end of the month I will be watching this situation very carefully.
Has anyone tried the new M$ offering of Microsoft Security Essentials  http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx
I have read varying reports but the message coming through is that it's fine for "safe surfers" but that if you go anywhere near the "dark side" of the web then it's best avoided.
Cliff
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As Microsoft Security Essentials is a cut down version of One Care the latest reports from http://www.av-comparatives.org/ are not encouraging compared to Avira  for example
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've already installed Microsoft Security Essentials on 2 PC's, one of mine and one somebody elses.
It seems a reasonable stop-gap and I'll wait for reports over a longer period to see how it develops.
As it includes both AV and AS (supplants Defender if you have it) it's fairly complete for the unadventurous home user.
(both above systems are relatively low-risk secondary systems anyway)
Not applicable

Very glad that I have read this thread so thank you for raising the subject.
I too am awaiting the Windows 7 disk at the end of the month so I will now keep an eye on this thread and on the Kasperksy forum before I install. Coping with an install of a new OS is enough stress without this added to it!
I might even wait a month before attempting it so that hopefully by then Kaspersky labs will have sorted it.
God
Grafter

It gets worse...
Uninstalling the Kapersky Win 7 beta trashes iTunes CD burning drivers, or possibly their registry information. I have double checked this by restoring a Win 7 image running iTunes with no problems, then uninstalling Kaspersky and running iTunes again, iTunes immediately flags that no CD burning is available as it can’t locate the drivers.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Have you got a restore point before installing KIS beta.
When trying beta software I always create an Acronis full backup in case of problems
God
Grafter

Yup I have but I will be starting afresh when the Win 7 disk arrives. I keep all my data on a spate drive so it is just an inconvenience rather than a problem, but I am surprised that uninstalling KIS has done this.
matt_2k34
Grafter

interesting link in there jim (av comparative)
unless i missed something their test doesnt include how much of a footprint the AV uses ? - So it goes just on how good they are at detecting viruses and how many FP's they pull
Gdata
Symantec
Avast
F-Secure
BitDefender
eScan
ESET

personally i have seen a few people using avira, and havent been much of a fan. (find it takes up too much of the system, when compared with NOD32 (my choice from ESET))
Its all very well being able to scan at 17.4mbps from Symantec - shame you cant do anything else on the machine while the AV is open  Crazy
Oldjim
Resting Legend

this is the nearest thing which is the effect on the computer performance http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/performance/performance08a.pdf
matt_2k34
Grafter

Thanks Jim - must of missed that
Shame its for 08 though! i know NOD32 has gone through at least 2 more product versions since then - altho still very respectible place in the list, i am suprised to see symantec do so well though !
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The latest Symantec has a very light footprint - the change from the old bloatware is really amazing and the detection results are very good as well