Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kaspersky Total Security

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Kaspersky Total Security

@VileReynard wrote:

There is a well known solution that doesn't include the use of lots of bloatware.

Linux's time will come Jeremy if it hasn't already done so Wink

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quite right @Strat, just because one uses Linux it doesn't make you or your device immune.

RJM
Rising Star

I use Sophos Premium but, the free version is good as well.

UK company to boot as well.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Anonymous wrote:

OK @Baldrick1, I'll take the bait.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45746837

I guess you've been busy.

No, I read that the Salisbury poisoners were from the same organisation that tried to hack into OPCW.

When independent proof is presented that Kaspersky is being used to infiltrate my computer with malware I will change to another source., but this would not be a US based company as I don't trust them not to be spying on me 'just in case'. To be honest I would expect the bad guys to be busy, in case a cyber war breaks out in earnest, finding ways to shut down essential life support systems such as gas, water, sewerage and electricity systems plus HMRC, NHS etc etc. rather than disrupting my on line ordering of groceries.

I think that these things need to be taken in context. At our level I think the biggest risk comes from script kiddies, low life criminal gangs and their ilk, not foreign powers. Whilst Kaspersky keep coming out top in detecting real malware out in the wild plus heuristic analysis to find new stuff I will stay with them.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Baldrick1 wrote:

At our level I think the biggest risk comes from script kiddies, low life criminal gangs and their ilk, not foreign powers.

I think you have a very valid point there @Baldrick1.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

All governments spy on other countries. Heck, the US even spies on the likes of Germany etc, so called friends!

I use one lot of antivirus on the phone (how many run antivirus stuff on their smartphone?). Another supplier on the computer / laptops. So far, holding on to a huge plank of wood, haven't been bitten yet. But that is not to say it won't happen, one day. One reason I back up the essential stuff to different sources. You can always take off any antivirus and a computer will speed up. But what ever you run will have some impact.

I think the latest about chips is being spread by vested interests. Seems strange that the two named as having had chips on their servers, deny it ever happened.

As @Baldrick1 says, script kiddies and the like are things to be more worried about. One reason I run NoScript. Works quite well.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@shutter wrote:

@VileReynard Yeah.... we all know that ..... it`s called .... "don`t use the internet "!

Wrong!

I don't use these vile "virus checkers" - if they are needed why doesn't the OS incorporate them to protect the user data?

Personally, I don't open obvious email spam, especially spam with URL's in.

Mostly I block as much advertising and 3rd party cookies in my web browser, to reduce tracking attempts.

But fundamentally, using Linux means that I've not run a virus checker for many years now.

Never had any malware - ever.

BTW I will only install software, including security fixes from secure sites.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@VileReynard wrote:

@shutter wrote:

@VileReynard Yeah.... we all know that ..... it`s called .... "don`t use the internet "!

Wrong!

I don't use these vile "virus checkers" - if they are needed why doesn't the OS incorporate them to protect the user data?

Erm..... if you don`t use the internet.... you wont`t get infected by internet viruses.... no matter what operating system is installed on your phone/computer/laptop.

Microsoft Windows DOES include it in their operating system.... It`s called  "Windows Defender" or " Microsoft Security Essentials"... and as mentioned in my post previously... it is constantly updated...  

I think Linux has been attacked with Virus software... you are lucky that you were not affected... therefore your "assumption", that Linux is Virus Immune by itself, is flaky.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's something to read if you are running Linux.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous "Nice One " !....

some good info that debunks @VileReynard `s claims that Liniux does not need Anti-VIrus software . !

VileReynard
Hero

My desktop doesn't connect with any Windows machines so I'm not taking responsibility for their problems.

It doesn't use wifi, so I'm not taking responsibility for its shortcomings.

The points about backups are fully covered anyway.

If I was to go elsewhere using public wifi on a laptop, whilst it would be tedious to set up but probably worthwhile, I could:-

Leave my Raspberry Pi switched on and tunnel (securely) from my laptop using insecure public wifi to get a kind of slow VPN, free of charge.

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard Whenever you get the chance,... you "downtalk" /"rubbish"  Windows... ( which..just happens to be the world`s most popular operating system). and make posts that are telling windows users, that if they used LINUX, they would not have the problems, that are talked about freely, and discussed openly, so that they may be resolved by "the more knowlegeable"....

The difference being... that WIndows users DO NOT suggest, or imply, that they use it because it is BETTER/SAFER than Windows. Whereas your postings always advocate that LINUX is better and safer than windows, ...

Exccept, when cornered, you then revert to what YOU are actually doing with your LINUX distro, to protect it from the same kind of threats that WIndows has. and, in pretty much the same way.

Many people would like to use LInux... however, they are not "that" well informed, as to how to get programs, work the system, etc.,   and find that WIndows is easier to use, and understand, with most of the programs/applications being well documented, and used by millions, and easy to install.  I have tried Linux since MINT 8 ... but still have problems associated with the system, and as pointed out many times previously, some programs I use on Windows, have no equivalent in Linux... except maybe to use three different processes to carry out the one time only process on Windows.

Please, Stop bashing Windows, at every opportunity....  it doesn`t do  you, and your reputation on the forum, any good whatsoever.

VileReynard
Hero

I thought I gave a balanced reply with a few pointers to avoiding malware.

Personally, I find Windows difficult/clumsy to use (beyond a few simple tasks) - but thats just my opinion.

shutter
Community Veteran

SO...... just leave it at that, then....... 

VileReynard
Hero

I will - your complaints are unnecessary and unwanted.