cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Karmic Koala Upgrade?

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Karmic Koala Upgrade?

Hi i have just recently started using ubuntu 9.04 and all i really do with my pc is just browse the net.I believe that a new release is due to come out on the 29th 0f october?and im just wondering is it easy enough to upgrade via the update manager?also should i wait a few months before upgrading so that any problems may get ironed out?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
27 REPLIES 27
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Karmic Koala Upgrade?

I would wait at least a week or so after the 29th - just in case Cheesy (but it's unlikely there will be anything seriously wrong).
On Update-Manager, first make sure that you have loaded and installed any outstanding updates for 9.04.
On bottom LHS of the update-manager screen, click on settings,
Click the updates tab and make sure that you have "Normal Releases" selected for Release Upgrade.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for that axisofevil,i keep my ubuntu updated and have that checked for normal release upgrades,might just keep using 9.04 though as im still getting used to it and from what i hear there wont be much difference with karmic koala,might just hang off till the L.T.S.
Will my pc specs still be alright for the upgrades though?im using a pentium 4,with 40gb hdd and 512mb ram?
VileReynard
Hero

I've got a little-used version of 8.04 running on a 600MHz, 384MB, 36GB hard drive PC.
It's rather slow. Smiley
So I would think that it is likely that you won't suffer.
I shall be trying a trial upgrade on an old 512MB PC, unknown speed etc first.
So I'll let you know if it works.

chillypenguin
Grafter

I am also planning on defecting from CentOS, but am holding back for 9.10
Denzil
Grafter

I have found Ubuntu automatic upgrades to be fairly painless in the past (although I now use Linux Mint), so you will probably be fine. Like Mr Evil says, your hardware should be fine as well. Linux is generally less demanding of hardware than current Windows versions.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@axisofevil,thanks that will be great,im sure i read somewhere that minimum requirements would be 512mb ram,etc for the next upgrade,kinda worried now as one of the reasons ive chosen to go with linux is that it can run on a low spec pc.
Karmic Koala 9.10 System requirements..  http://www.techarena.in/guide/10268-installing-ubuntu-910-karmic-koala.htm
Minimum System Requirements :
Processor : 1Ghz Frequency
Memory : 512MB
Free Disk Space : 8GB
CD-Writer
Thanks for the advice everyone its much appreciated Smiley
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: steve74
[...]kinda worried now as one of the reasons ive chosen to go with linux is that it can run on a low spec pc.

Ever tried the CTRL & ALT & F1 (or F2 to F6) key combinations, Steve? It'll take you to a virtual console where you can log in and do everything you know how to on the command line (CTRL & ALT & F7 to get back to where you started). If you ever wanted to install Linux purely as a server you can do it without the resource overhead a Graphical User Interface would incur.
For most of us using Linux on the desktop we like a nice point-and-click graphical interface; on top of the basic Linux installation that means (in the case of Ubuntu) adding the X Window System (to provide the basic windowing capability), the Metacity window manager (to provide window 'decorations' such as the minimize, resize & close window buttons, and the GNOME desktop environment (to provide panels, pagers, file manager etc).
The more layers you add the greater the resources used. I don't think that Ubuntu 9.10 will be much / any  slower on your system than 9.04 but if it turns out that it is there are alternative desktop environments which are less resource hungry than GNOME (LXDE and Xfce for examples). 
Denzil
Grafter

The other option would be just to add some more RAM, of course. RAM is quite cheap these days, depending what type you need.
VileReynard
Hero

Probably worth checking if your swap usage isn't too excessive.
See System -> Administration -> System Monitor
Extra swap space can easily be added, if required.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Denzil
The other option would be just to add some more RAM, of course.

My 1Ghz Via "Pro" board has a ceiling of 512Mb. Add more and it complains. even though it has 3 slots it is limited in what it can take. Currently have Gnome on & 9.04 on it but it is a bit sluggish with the limited on board video as well. I used to use it as a Firewall/mail server, but now use it as a g.p. test box.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I think im going to go for upgrading my ram,ive had a look around and my pc can take no more than twoGB of ram,ive priced 1GB at £19.00 with free delivery from a company ,i have two slots so providing i can take out the 512MB(dont know have not looked yet)i will eventually get my pc up too 2GB ram,problem solved.
Thanks again everone for your help,much appreciated Smiley
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: biker955
... but it is a bit sluggish with the limited on board video as well. I used to use it as a Firewall/mail server, but now use it as a g.p. test box.

If it has an AGP port or even a spare PCI slot, would adding a cheap low-end graphics card release your video memory???
You could ask someone who knows about these things. Cheesy

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Axisofevil
If it has an AGP port or even a spare PCI slot, would adding a cheap low-end graphics card release your video memory???
You could ask someone who knows about these things. Cheesy

Shocked Lips_are_sealed
It is a low power machine (30W) and I don't want to add a video card and double the power it takes  Wink
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: chillypenguin
I am also planning on defecting from CentOS, but am holding back for 9.10

I had some spare time this morning so I am now running Karmic Koala (Beta). All seams to be working fine. Can't wait for Pesky Penguin.