Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just increased memory, now fan running continuously

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Just increased memory, now fan running continuously

As the title.

I have just increased the memory on my Samsung RV511 laptop (from 3 to 8GB), and now the fan is running continuously.

The temperatures (according to 'Speccy' are no higher, but I am a little concerned that the fan is on permanently.

Any comments/suggestions?

John
14 REPLIES 14
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Just increased memory, now fan running continuously

Hi there,

If you have access to the fan, take a look and clear out any dust/fluff. Even though it may look cased up, it can still build up enough crud to stop it performing properly.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
jab1
Legend

Thanks @Pete11 I thought about that when I opened the machine to upgrade the memory, but these Samsungs need stripping down further than I am comfortable doing to access the fans &c - and as I have said, this has only happened this morning since I upped the RAM.

John
harrym1byt
Rising Star

I have a compressor in my garage and I regularly take my desktops and laptops out to the garden bench to give them a gentle blow through with an air gun. A really surprising amount of dust and fluff comes out. It saves disassembling.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Anonymous
Not applicable

What I've seen is a large increase in dust an a PC where there are no carpets and the floor is tiled or laminated. As there is nowhere for the dust to settle in the fibres of the carpet it's simply sucked in to the PC and needs cleaning more often.

jab1
Legend

Nice idea @harrym1byt, but I have no compressor, no garage and no garden bench.Wink

John
jab1
Legend

@Anonymous My floors are carpeted, and the continuous fan has only started this morning. Think it may be time to let an expert have a look on Tuesday.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jab1, I was just posting that as a mater of interest. But of course the question has to be asked does the fan return to normal oif you remove the memory and return it to its original configuration?

Also, chances are the BIOS will have popped up as well to record the change so maybe go back in to it and see if the fan settings have been changed and return them to Auto. Worth a look if nothing else.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi jab1 

Just a thought you can buy tins of compressed air quite cheaply from pound shops have used them in the past

Also have you restored to the original 3GB Rams and does the fan stop

Normally if you have more Ram the laptop is not working so hard and runs cooler 

Brian A 

jab1
Legend

I kind of realised that, @Anonymous. I don't feel inclined to change back at the moment - bit of a busy day ahead, but I may have a look tomorrow.

The BIOS didn't pop up, but having checked what CCleaner is reporting and what Task Manager shows, the full 8GB is recognised.

Lappy is due for a service anyway, so I'll let someone else have look. I'm perfectly happy with installing programs, but the taking to pieces/reassembling is not really within my comfort cone, especially on this machine.

John
jab1
Legend

@Anonymous See reply to Mook. I have a can of compressed air, but this machine needs almost total disassembly to get to the fans.

John
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jab1 wrote:
... but the taking to pieces/reassembling is not really within my comfort cone, especially on this machine.

That's fair enough @jab1, I appreciate that it's not within everyone's comfort zone. Keep us posted though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just had another thought as I peeled the potatoes

Have you checked that you are getting 8GB Ram.Just type system into bottom LHS search box it will tell you the installed ram and usable ram 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just had a thought @Anonymous while I read your post, do you actually read the posts before your reply? Wink