Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got my first smart phone - a Homtom HT17 Pro and I can't take pictures

FIXED
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just got my first smart phone - a Homtom HT17 Pro and I can't take pictures

It appears that you have to use an app but I have absolutely no idea which one or how to do it as there are no buttons to press

It runs on Android 6 Marshmallow

10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: Just got my first smart phone - a Homtom HT17 Pro and I can't take pictures

Fix

It seems easy when you know how - just installed Open Camera and it all works Embarrassed

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Beat me to it there, just about to suggest Open CameraSmiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I`ve had as "smart phone" for about 3 years now... and only taken one photo with it.... I still take my trusty Panasonic FZ72 everywhere I go.! !.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Further fiddling after my better half came home and it turns out that the inbuilt camera app won't work unless I allow it to make phone calls - I have no idea why it thinks it needs to but having allowed that it works and I can take pictures using the volume control button

I just wish that there was a manual supplied with it

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, I had that problem with an inbuilt camera app on my Cubot phone. Didn't like the idea of a camera app wanting access to those facilities , so used Open Camera instead.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@Oldjim wrote:

Further fiddling after my better half came home and it turns out that the inbuilt camera app won't work unless I allow it to make phone calls - I have no idea why it thinks it needs to but having allowed that it works and I can take pictures using the volume control button

it's not that it wants to be allowed to make calls, it's that it needs/wants access to the volume button, and that particular permission is part of the caller permission list.

it's just a poorly worded permission request.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Can we be sure that even if apps don't say they need certain system access that they won'tUndecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

well that's down to how much trust you have in that particular app.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Can we be sure that even if apps don't say they need certain system access that they won't

Yes, with Android 6.0 and up , you can control app permissions

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@chenks76 wrote:

@Oldjim wrote:

it's not that it wants to be allowed to make calls, it's that it needs/wants access to the volume button, and that particular permission is part of the caller permission list.

it's just a poorly worded permission request.

doesn't it also need to be able to display when calls are incoming and be useable by the calling system if you want video calls ? and in some cases the lock/power /action button for actually taking photo's or videos, as well as file system access for storing those photos ....

most app permission titles seem to be written in a confusing way, half the time the app itself doesn't want control over anything but it wants something else to be able to control it or interact with it should the need arise...  often denying them means they wont work or you break something else ..... 

would be a lot better if google bothered to vet all the apps in its store so users didn't run the risk of using spyware in the first place /

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you