cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got my Plusnet Modem

chrisn68

Just got my Plusnet Modem

I am a  new user to PlusNet and received the modem in the post today. At first I though PlusNet were having a laugh but now I realise that the router they sent is meant to be serious! I have NEVER come across such a very basic router in my life. I actually thought it was a kids toy - a toy router and not one I am supposed to use!!
All I can say is thank goodness I have my own modem which I will be using instead of this rubbish!! Hope the service will be better than the Mickey Mouse router! lol
6 REPLIES 6
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Just got my Plusnet Modem

you received a router not a modem.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@chenks76 that isn't how things are done around here, you firstly have to welcome the new member to the forum ( welcome to the forum Chrisn68 ) secondly the member did say in the last paragraph
Hope the service will be better than the Mickey Mouse router! lol
You should wish everyone a warm welcome if it is their first post it doesn't cost anything to be polite and nice does it.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: M
@chenks76 that isn't how things are done around here, you firstly have to welcome the new member to the forum

who made you the boss?
we HAVE to welcome a new member? maybe you feel you do, but i certainly don't.
and i don't see you welcoming the new member to the forum.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

M Steve has way more posts than you so listen to him Wink and if you don't i have way more posts than him so listen to me  Cheesy
chrisn68 the profit margins for broadband are slim so PN offering you anything is a bonus. When we joined we got a very basic usb modem.. any connection sharing had to be done via the computer with a second network adapter. I used to run a 766MHz Pentium 3 as an ICS host especially for that purpose.
They don't have to give you anything.. they could just connect your line and leave you to get on with it. They supply you the basic hardware to use the service, if you don't like it you don't have to use it but they have supplied you with something usable. It might not be fantastic but it is usable.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes the router Plusnet provides is basic BUT it gets you online & for some people that is all they want, a simple to use device they can basically plug & play to get on to the internet.
If you want a better router then there are plenty of threads on this forum with recommendations from forum users for equipment that works with Plusnet.
My Plusnet supplied router & BT fibre modem are up in the loft gathering dust while I use my own TP Link TD W9980 to access the internet.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

I had some irritation on receiving a TG582n ADSL modem set up as a router initially, especially as I already had an unlocked TG582n from my previous ISP which I could have used and saved myself the money of having another delivered, but, considering I was getting the FTTC package and not an ADSL package, I could throw the TG582n into my "drawer of many things" and just hook my D-Link DIR-615 router up to the BT-Openreach vDSL modem instead, saving the need to deal with the Technicolor interface and being able to use something I know well... Smiley