Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just did something a bit silly

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just did something a bit silly

Java update notification so - as usual - I clicked allow and then agreed to the conditions as usual without reading them.
What did it do - it installed the Yahoo Toolbar in Firefox  Angry Angry Angry Angry
OK removing it was relatively easy but why are Sun pushing that bit of crapware
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Just did something a bit silly

It's not only me  Embarrassed http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/07/coffee-break--1.html
Coffee break- be careful with Sun Java updates
Coffee_man So I sit down in the neighborhood coffee shop, not that big chain but a small independent one.  I pull my laptop out of the bag and fire it up.  Of course it does a few minutes of resuming from hibernation and when it comes up it notifies me that the Sun Java has an update available, do I want to install it?  I decide to go ahead and do it since I'm just getting going and off it goes.  It does its thing for almost five, yes five full minutes during which it was bashing my hard drive and rendering my system very sluggish to do other things.  When it finally finished I fired up Firefox to get some work done and the first thing I notice is a giant, ugly, garish Yahoo! Toolbar that Sun apparently installed for me. Now there could easily have been a confirmation box for that install during the Java update, the install had my system so tied up that I may have clicked the screen to see what was happening and that was buffered thus providing my approval to install this toolbar I don't want.  I'll give Sun the benefit of the doubt about that.  The unforgivable part is that not only did it install the toolbar but a confirmation box appeared in Firefox giving the Yahoo! Toolbar permission to change my browser home page and default search engine to Yahoo!.  Bad software company, bad company!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Actually, Java doesn't seem to be used all that much on web sites any more - with the exception of a few speed checking sites.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PGRGrandad
Grafter

I took the same download and was offered Open Office, the box that popped up was already ticked and I had to choose not to download, this seems the wrong way round to me, we should be offered the choice to opt in rather than opt out!
Pete 
Not applicable

Yep - lost of these on installers these days. Predominantly for Google toolbar or Yahoo toolbar.
I personally can't see what they offer that othrr browsers don't do already.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

yes I had the same problem.  I couldn't see anywhere that gave me a coiice to install it or not.  Had to get rid of it later.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I hate these search tool bars. If I want to search I hit my home page icon Wink
Additionally it makes the pages shorter from top to bottom. Now, if it was at the side meaning the page keeps its height I might not find it so annoying.
What does wind me up though is the fact they don't even ask you half the time if you want it. I've installed numerous programs which mention nothing about IE plugins they're going to annoyingly install for me.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!