cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Purchased Second Hand Harddrive( SOLVED )

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Just Purchased Second Hand Harddrive( SOLVED )

And I'm wondering If this Is all I need for replacing my current sata drive, I've never Installed one before but I assume Its just a matter of following the cables and unplugging and plugging new one up? I found some help here..http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=pcsupport&cdn=compute&tm=26&f=00&tt=12&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.pchardware.co.uk/install-serial-ata-hard-drive.php
One question, I don't need to do any partitioning as Its just going to be windows 7 that Is Installed, Will windows 7 format the drive for me? I do have the windows 7 disc with a system Image and Its a retail version.
This Is the drive I've just bought here....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120608715642&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Ps I do know I should wear an anti-static wristband.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just Purchased Second Hand Harddrive

The very first thing I do after buying Hitachi drives from eBay is run the Hitachi "Drive Fitness Test".
This will check whether the drive is in a fit state BEFORE you start loading an OS - (and ensure you didn't buy a lemon, or got damaged in transit !)
http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/index#DFT
Once you have run the various tests and looked at the SMART drive history,
you should ideally use the utility that completely wipes the drive back to all zeroes, this means you get a fresh start but also updates the internal bad sector mapping.
Before you start -  pull out the mains cable and then all the other external cables, and then press the "power on" button -
this will discharge any residual stored charge in the power supply (which might otherwise blow something up while connecting/disconnecting) !
Yes wear a wristband OR when connecting/disconnecting the cables keep one hand on the metal PC chassis and the other on the metal disk drive shell - and try to avoid touching the electronics !.
As for connecting the drive, yes just swap all the cables.
Just put the Windows 7 CD in and follow the on-screen instructions - it will do all the formatting as part of the installation process.
gadfly
Grafter

Installing the drive is just a matter of removing the old SATA drive and installing the new one, attaching the power cable from the power supply and the data cable from the motherboard. How the drive is removed depends on the case. Some cases allow the drive bay t be removed; others require both sides of the case to be removed so that the four screws that fix the drive in the bay can be removed.
To boot from the Windows 7 DVD requires that the BIOS is set so that the DVD drive is the first boot device, not the hard drive.
If you need it, this webpage gives good information on the BIOS - http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/BIOS.htm
You then boot from the Windows installation disc, which provides an option to format the drive. You should use the NTFS file system not FAT32.
When you have Windows installed, you could reinstall the old drive and use it for file or backup storage.
If you have, say, Windows XP installed on the old drive on the C: drive, you can install Windows 7 on the new drive from within Windows XP. Windows 7 will then install on the D:drive and set up a boot menu that appears at startup allowing you to choose to boot from an older version of WIndows or Windows 7.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have a different technique.
I switch off the power to the computer at the mains but leave it plugged in. This means that the case etc. is earthed through the mains earthing system. I then make sure that the first thing I touch is the case (difficult to do otherwise unless you are testing with the side of the case off) and I don't own an anti static band
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

My technique Smiley
is to unplug everything and to earth myself and the case via the nearest radiator (which is known to be bonded to earth via copper pipe).
I don't own a wrist strap either.
BTW Is this the eBay purchase that says
Seller refurbished: An item that has been restored to working order by the eBay seller or a third party not approved by the manufacturer. This means the item has been inspected, cleaned and repaired to full working order and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in its original packaging. See the seller’s listing for full details

You would not pay much more for a bigger brand new (with guarantee) drive.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Some great advice thank you folks, @Oldjim I didn't own one either till yesterday, Got one coming from ebay, cost me under 2 quid, Knew It was not needed as I can keep my elbow touching inside of pc case but I bought one anyway, Cant remember If I'm going to need to take off both sides of my pc, But I hope not, My biggest fear Is dis-mantling everything then not being able to put It all back together, I will approach with great caution.
As for using my old sata drive as a back-up, Would I need sata cables to attach to the motherboard for this second one If I do It That way?
@ Jeremy Yes And I also discovered that a tad too late.
@purleigh I've burned that iso twice and It never ever works, Must be burning It wrong  or something, Burning It on the slowest speed possible.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=Steve M]Would I need sata cables to attach to the motherboard for this second one If I do It That way?
Yes - you can get two for £0.99 including postage on eBay !
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-NEW-SATA-DATA-Serial-ATA-Cable-FREE-UK-Shipping-/170535159350?pt=UK_Comput...
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Thankyou for the link, Thats cheap :), I also edited my last post at the end.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re burning the ISO - I had problems with that using Nero so I changed to Imgburn - no problems
http://www.imgburn.com/
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=Steve M]@purleigh I've burned that iso twice and It never ever works, Must be burning It wrong  or something, Burning It on the slowest speed possible.
I burnt mine from Ubuntu and it worked first time !
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I was just burning It with windows 7 own burning programme, Perhaps that's where I went wrong, Burns everything else fine though, Will give that a bash with that prog Oldjim and see what happens Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

For more general burning including images I use http://infrarecorder.org/ and that is on Windows 7 64 bit
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Oldjim Ive bookmarked that aswell to try, Is the first file on that for 32 bit? I think It Is, Under download?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Yes - the 64 bit version is the next one down
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I suggest NOT directly earthing ANYTHING - ESPECIALLY YOURSELF !!! - as you risk electrocution if there is a problem with your wiring or the PSU !!!
A proper earth strap IS NOT just a wire to earth, it is a very high resistance cable that slowly discharges any accumulated voltage - particularly static electricity.
This has two benefits, firstly if YOU get connected to the mains then the current passing through you is VERY low and therefore safer than your body making a direct circuit to earth.
Secondly when YOU make contact with something else which is at a different voltage (e.g. the PC case) then the current involved in equalizing the voltages is massively reduced - and in this case prevents damage to the electronic components.
The ideal setup would be to have an anti-static mat which is earthed with a high resistance cable, you should wear a high resistance wrist strap connected to the mat, and everything you are working with should be placed on the mat so everything is at the same voltage.
So directly earthing anything is quite likely to make discharge currents worse than if you had done nothing at all. - DON'T DO IT !!!
Without wrist straps etc, the next best method is as I described above, disconnect everything, work with all the components on the same surface such as a table top  (not on the carpet !).
Only EVER touch the metal chassis parts, and make sure when joining two things together that you use your body as a resistor to equalize the voltages between the parts BEFORE they make contact.
And MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL - remember not to wear those super static generating nylon knickers whilst fingering inside your PC !  Shocked