Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jack plug

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Jack plug

Anybody got laying about in old parts bins a 2.5 to 1.5 stereo headphone plug adapter they don't need? I need one for my MP3 player, which has the smaller socket, but my over the ear type headphones has the larger plug.
If I hadn't tried already I wouldn't be asking here!!
Contact me by PM if you can come to an arrangement with me.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES 8
petlew
Pro

Re: Jack plug

Thanks James, tis possible I've got the sizes wrong, sorry I'm not familiar with i-pods, been trying to steer clear of them (on cost...value for money grounds)
The socket in my MP3 player is the smallest (in diameter) I've yet seen. Using old imperial sizes...I'm used to the guitar plug as 1/4" the next down in size around 5/32" thats been around for years, and the one I'm looking for smaller than that about 3/32" I'd guess (I've lost my micrometer somewhere) You could well be right about it becoming popular with very thin MP3 players and the like (mine is very thin) I suppose it might be found in a collection of i-pod bits and pieces I suppose, I'll look.
The player is supplied with headphones of the right size plug, but I can never keep those damn things in my ears for more than 10 seconds, so I have a pair of hook over the ear type, but they have the bigger plug.
Maplin, probably might have it, but I doubt if it will be available online (insufficient value for post) and my nearest shop is miles away, but I will try anyway.
Thanks again

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Pro

Should have looked first at Maplin, before the previous reply. They do indeed have an answer online...a multi kit with every possible combination, seems a bit OTT for one measly adapter, but if all else fails...

RobDickson
Grafter

I pop into Maplin every now and again, so was going to offer to pick something up for you, as long as you donate a fiver to the RNLI. However, with Maplin's carriage charge of £2.95, you might as well pay that.
petlew
Pro

Rob you're on...gotta go out now...send me a PM I can reply to please we can discuss it tomorrow.
Cheers

RobDickson
Grafter

Bit busy at the moment, but should be popping in sometime next week.
petlew
Pro

Rob,
Many thanks for your proposed help I'm very grateful, quite restores my faith in mans kindness to others. However, I've just heard mention that an I-pod will be winging my way via Santa at Christmas, so I'll put up with what I have for the time being.
I should point out my previous comments about I-pods was related to their cost not quality (about which I know absolutely nothing I should add) but as I'm not paying for it, my principles do a New Labour government like u-turn.
Thanks again
Peter

RobDickson
Grafter

I got back from a weekend in New York this morning - I could have picked up an iPod for you if I'd thought.
petlew
Pro

Rob,
Please see the "I-pod" posting.
But thanks anyway.
Peter