Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JAVA Update Failed....

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

JAVA Update Failed....

Got a notification that there is a Java update ... so clicked on it.. and eventually got the "boing" for a failed download.. on googling "java update"   I found this

https://java.com/en/download/help/firefox_java.xml

Which, basically says that FIrefox has stopped supporting JAVA from version 52.... and if I need to use java on any webpages, then I should use Internet explorer.

Java is one of those things that I have never understood..  but apparently, it is used in just about everything..  so why has Firefox decided we don`t really need it ?

Presumably. I have to wait until a web page fails, before knowing which pages need java.. but that seems a bit of an " ad hoc" way to go about it..  and it also means I have to have Internet Explorer "at the ready".. just in case...

Surely. Java and FIrefox should get together on working out how to alter their ( java ) software to be more compliant with Firefox

10 REPLIES 10
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: JAVA Update Failed....

firefox has decided to stop supporting NPAPI plugins (just like chrome and edge does).
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins

j
ava (as far as the web goes) is going the way of Flash, in that it's old, clunky and is now deemed "old hat".

shutter
Community Veteran

@chenks76 Thanks for that linky... it explains it "in part".. so I understand it a bit better now ! !...

Seems that I won`t be needing I.E. after all... and probably won`t notice any difference on web pages I use.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

plus of course Java is a security risk Sad   http://fortune.com/2016/10/18/java-software-security-veracode/

also Flash player is a risk but not so much

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Tagger
Grafter

Java hasn't been used for much on the Internet for several years now.  It's proved to be such a security nightmare that the browser developers have stopped supporting it any more, and even Oracle are trying to push people away from using it for all but signed apps.

If you don't need it in your browser, disable it in the browser's "add-ons".  If you don't need Java for anything else on your computer, uninstall it totally.  I uninstalled Java totally on my home PC several years ago, and don't miss it at all.

Surfing the net with a browser with an out-of-date version of Java is just asking to have drive-by viruses installed.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Tagger   Thanks for the advice.... Have just uninstalled Java Update 8..   can`t see any other Java anywhere.. Wink

If nothing else,.... it should stop those update Java nagscreens that keep popping up....

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

There is a tool on the java website which will check for old versions of java and remove them.

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Let's not forget that some Windows programs (e.g. Libre/Open Office) require Java runtimes to be installed, even if Java may be deprecated for web use on security grounds.

shutter
Community Veteran

@SpendLessTime  I thought I had uninstalled Java Update 8  using Absolute Uninstaller... but was still getting the pop-up nag screen to tell me the new update was available...

So I clicked your linky, and it showed Java Update 8 was ready to be uninstalled... now it`s done, ....perhaps I will get no more nag screens..

shutter
Community Veteran

@NorthPole   well, I am still using Open Office as normal... and I have ( as you can see from previous post ) just uninstalled Java ! ... so maybe they don`t necessarily need "java"  but are running on the FF alternative....

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

shutter, it may be that Open Office 'bundles' the Java runtimes with the installer - don't know for sure, as I use Libre Office myself. This from the System Requirements page for Libre Office: 'For certain features of the software - but not most - Java is required. Java is notably required for Base'. So I guess it is possible in many cases to use the program without Java and not encounter problems .