Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Itunes and mp3 files

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Itunes and mp3 files

The recent thread on here about itunes and vista prompted to copy my music library to an old PC where I have itunes running with firefly media  server.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,98305.0.html
All is fine and it means that on my main machine I can avoid the resource hogging bonjour etc. but there is a problem on the machine running XP SP3 with iTunes 10.5 -  it wont play mp3 files properly.The files fire up but are so distorted as to be unrecognisable. I can't fathom out why that is. I've done a clean install of itunes but no luck with the mp3 files and I've no idea why? can anyone give me a clue? Does iTunes need something installed in \windows to let it play mp3s?
6 REPLIES 6
CX
Grafter

Re: Itunes and mp3 files

Have you tried setting a different output method in the QuickTime control panel?
Try DirectSound, but if that fails, drop back to waveOut.
the_groundsman
Rising Star

I hadn't bu tit makes no difference I'm afraid
CX
Grafter

Is it a dual core AMD CPU? If so, make sure that the AMD K8 Cool'n'Quiet driver is installed or you will get some screwy issues with some mutlimedia apps with respect to timing.
Are the MP3 files stored locally on the XP system, or are they being served across the network via Firefly?
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Thanks for your help here.
It is an AMD processor. not sure if its dual core or not Its quite an old machine so I doubt it.
I have had itunes running on it and happily playing mp3s and AAC in the past but I recently did a clean install and havbe had a problem since then.
Most of my music is in AAC ripped from CD. All the music  is stored on a second HDD ( the original HDD is only 40GB so that has the OS and the program files on it).  I'm using it mainly as a music server for firefly and my old roku soundbridge plus as a spare machine for internet use.
Thanks again
the_groundsman
Rising Star

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3372304?start=60&tstart=0
Looks like th AMD processor is the problem here.
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Just in case anyone was following this trhread itunes 10.5.1 appears to cure the problem of MP3 file playback onm AMD processors