Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Itunes - XP and Vista

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Itunes - XP and Vista

Hi I have 2 desktops on XP Home and a laptop on Vista Home premium.
I can not "see" any shared libraries in ITunes on the Vista laptop but they are OK on the 2 XP machines. I have media sharing allowed and itunes is set to find shared libraries. Any help would be appreciated
4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Itunes - XP and Vista

try turning off any firewall on your vista box for a short period and try it as quick test.
also check that all pc's are in the same workgroup.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Thanks for this.
Vista is just running the windows firewall. I turned it off and logged of and on again but no luck there. They are definately all showing as being in the same work group. I rarely use the Vista laptop and can't help feeling that everything is more annoying that good old XP.
I also read on here that Vista is "fussy" about permissions. Neither the XP boxes have any user accounts set up. I like the fact that you switch on and the desktop is there and see no benefit in separate accounts.  As the Laptop is shared amongst everyone in the family ( though monomploised by my kids) it does have separate accounts. Ive noticed when accessing documents from shared folders that these are available but only as "read only" so I can not write back to other machines on the network also that I can not install from .exe files held on other drives.
To try and get round this I have turned off User Account controls so have an annoying red X security warning.
Feels like Vista is a bit too much of a nagging nanny and I'd like a bit more control.
edit
Just seen the other post http://community.plus.net...ex.php/topic,75531.0.html that gives advice on permissions so I'll try and follow that.
Njal
Grafter

I only use XP, so have no personal experience, but see:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8778274&#8778274
"I have the same problem. I have 2 Macs, a Windows XP an a Windows Vista system. The Vista library is visible to the others, but neither the Mac nor XP libraries can be seen on the Vista machine. This seems a large-scale problem and I cannot find any solutions."
Searching the Apple site referenced above for "shared libraries xp vista" shows lots of people with the problem, but without any resolution as far as I can see. There's quite a bit of chat about DRM management etc., but as I don't do DRM I don't have any experience of that either.
Sorry for being useless!
Regards,
Neil
the_groundsman
Rising Star

Not useless at all
It makes me feel better that I'm not alone  Wink
Hopefully son of Vista will not just make this situation worse. I just know that at some point XP will have to go and I really dont fancy linux  Lips_are_sealed