cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's true wot they say about Bipac routers!

Loombucket
Grafter

It's true wot they say about Bipac routers!

Having read several interesting reports (some on these forums) regarding the inexplicable broadband speed increase you can achieve by changing to a Billion Bipac router, I was intrigued enough to investigate.....
I'm an IT consultant/engineer and I'd just run out of spare ADSL routers, so I bought in a Bipac 7300 ADSL 4-port modem/router and tested it on my own ADSL connection alongside my existing Level-1 WBR3460 router.
I first ran the PN speed tester two or three times whilst connected to my existing Level-1 router and achieved an average of 1938kbps down/380 up.
I then checked the router's connection specs which showed 2848kbps down/448 up.
All OK so far - my profile may be a little low but the figures were not unexpected.
I then swapped routers.......
The Bipac performed at exactly the same speed using the PN speed tester (which is to be expected - it's controlled by my profile) - BUT the router's connection specs are now 5120kbps down/448 up!

Yes folks, the raw connection speed has almost doubled.  Shocked
The other connection statistics are:-
Noise margin (upstream)    - 18.0 db
Noise margin (downstream) - 6.0 db
Attenuation (upstream)      - 31.5 db
Attenuation (downstream) - 57.0 db
Interesting, innit?  Cool
4 REPLIES 4
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: It's true wot they say about Bipac routers!

Intriguing. Do you know what the downstream SNRM was before?
And of course is it stable and useable?
(I ask because I've read elsewhere that one thing they do is override any non-default SNRM set by BT...)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I've experienced something similar with a 2wire I have just put in, the jump wasn't as big and I'd already had some help sorting out my wiring (Thanks again HPSauce Smiley )
But my attenuation dropped by nearly 3dB and my synch speed went up around 600kbs and I'm now on a 5500 profile.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
And of course is it stable and useable?
(I ask because I've read elsewhere that one thing they do is override any non-default SNRM set by BT...)

I've seen a couple for sale with the explanation that the router is too fast for their long line . . .  In essence, if the line is too long/noisy to run 24/7 with a 6dB SNRM then recurring disconnections seem certain.
Loombucket
Grafter

Certainly during the time I was testing it, the connection was as solid as a rock.  I'll know soon enough, I'm installing it soon on a customer's site way out in the country where the line length is pretty significant.