I thought you were all going to be nice to us Cheesy Grin
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: It's World Backup day on Moday 31st March

Do many of you ue the eternal hard drives to back up PC ?
I realise that they themselves could fail, but as the disc is not used nearly as much as the PC one then presumeably they should last longer.
What external hard drives would you recommend?  - the seagate ones seem popular in some places Huh
Also with SD Card slots in many PC's I assume that could be used as a backup medium ?
Mal
CX
Grafter

If USB 3.0, the Seagate drives have been the best for me.
The Hitachi Touro Desk / Desk Pro USB 3.0 drives have decent disks inside them (5K4000 and 7K4000 for the 4TB versions) but the enclosures themselves seem a bit flaky. Under Linux they frequently disappear, unexpectedly and usually mid-write resulting in varying levels of file system corruption. I also saw incorrect md5sum results on a couple of occasions which were correct after re-reading the same file, which suggests random data corruption is possibly occurring.
It might not be the Hitachi enclosures at fault - it could be a compatibility issue between the Renesas USB controller on the motherboard, and the enclosure, but there were no such problems with the Seagate on the same system.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've used a Seagate disk with USB 2 & 3,
If you are backing up a lot of small files then CPU speed is more important that USB type.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: It's World Backup day on Monday 31st March

The benefit of multiple backup devices.
Here on holiday in Barbados, I run, as at home back in the UK, Three Time Machine external HDD backups for my iMacs.
Earlier on today, my main 2TB Time Machine failed on me, it did a backup, then an hour later failed.
The TM was not recognised in Finder, Disk Utility could not repair it, nor could I erase it and re-use as a Time Machine.
There had been no indications of failure, no weird noises, so it was a surprise.
Other external HDD's mounted OK, as did my other two Time Machine USB portable drives.
A recent  S.M.A.R.T. check showed only 650 hours runtime.
I checked with WD, the HDD was still under two year warranty, so it will be sent back upon my return to the UK.
I'm only here for a couple more days, otherwise I would have sourced a replacement locally.
Disappointed that it failed so early on, but relieved the other backups were OK.
Humidity, Heat or just plain u/s ?
The environment in which it was used is temperature controlled though.