Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is using Trusteer Rapport a good security addon

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Is using Trusteer Rapport a good security addon

I hadn't bothered until I read this report http://malwareresearchgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/Banking-Report-2011-Final-WM.zip which clearly shows its advantage for banking protection
Out of all twenty-seven applications on test, only three were able to protect the system under all conditions, these being Zemana AntiLogger, Quaresso Protect On Q and Trusteer Rapport. An interesting feature of all three of these is that they protected the system silently, never asking for any user input and with no significant
impact on system performance.
I have now installed it from the HSBC website and everything seems to work without problems although I needed to manually activate it for Lloyds/Halifax
24 REPLIES 24
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Is using Trusteer Rapport a good security addon

I also activate it for any site in which I enter passwords, eg the current one, which seems to protect the domain. I've never had a warning (nor expected one) so can't say how effective it is.
The icon disappeared from the Firefox address bar when FF upgraded to 5.0. Though Trusteer claimed to be working my bank offered it again on my next online visit. Downloading and installing a fresh copy (selecting "not working" to remove the old version) fixed that problem.
David
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

I've used trusteer  for banking, but found that interfered with one of my graphics editing programs - Corel Draw I think. So I removed trusteer and the problems went away.  Needless to say it took ages to track down that bug. Apparently new versions of trusteer solve the problem, but my bank is not at that level of release yet.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

I've been using it for a while after it was recommended to me here in this forum. I think its good.  Although it stays well in the background its reassuring to look at the reports it produces to see what it has been doing - below is what has been happening this morning so far.
matt_2k34
Grafter

have now installed it from the HSBC website

If your using HSBC, and have to put up with the Secure key. Someone using a keylogger to get your 'memorable XXXXXX' isnt that important, as they still need the secure key which is randomly generated to get in.
Personally i see it as bloat, and ignore it every time.
The one time ive had issues with my card - was due to the company i was giving the details to storing them in plain text (Thanks Lush)
Regards
snookie
Dabbler

I used to have Trusteer Rapport installed on my machine, but found it conflicted with other security software and constantly froze Internet Explorer 9 & Firefox 4 then 5.
Since removing Trusteer Rapport no further problems  Smiley
Ransomefan
Grafter

I installed Trusteer Rapport about six months ago.  To date I have experienced no new problems.  Do not know how effective it is as I have had no warnings etc. in fact forgot it was there.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I installed it a while back and all it did was lock up the pc every time i booted it. Not easy to manually uninstall either. I had numerous spats with the bank on the phone about it as its not the only time rapport has done this to me - it's done it before.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
greyposter
Grafter

I'm using it to protect my accounts,no problems yet.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Odd thing being that Rapport is only recommended by banks. I can't help but wonder why. Not only do they all want it on your system but they then make it almost impossible to get rid of regardless of whether it works or crashes your PC.
When I rang my bank and asked them to get me help to uninstall it they said they'd get rapport to call me and that was the last i heard from anyone. They were more interested in it staying there than being wiped off. Damned hard work to get rid of that.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

My bank "Nationwide" keeps suggeting that i install it also ,but going by posts here and previous ones i tend to think its not a good idea  Huh
so unless your are daft enought to click random links and emails i dont think its a good download
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I spoke to someone at Lloyds and they said they don't recommend you use it.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jackoab
Grafter

I've been using it since it was first offered by Natwest and never had a problem on XP or Widows 7 Home edition 64 Bit.
Madman

@ Sprite
=============
When I rang my bank and asked them to get me help to uninstall it they said they'd get rapport to call me and that was the last i heard from anyone. They were more interested in it staying there than being wiped off. Damned hard work to get rid of that
=============
Either safe boot the computer to uninstall, or use  RapportSafeUninstall.exe  from the Trusteer website.
That said, I have no problems with it.
Regards  Nick
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just stumbled across this thread whilst looking for something else, and like others I've had nothing but trouble with this bloatware - 3 different versions now. So I've disabled it  - not easy unless you know what you are doing.
The usual manifestation is the machine boot-up freezes. Have to go to Safe mode to resolve that - either stop Rapportpg.sys and Rapportei.sys from loading or disable other security like AVG/ZoneAlarm to get a boot. I also disable the Rapport Management Service.
They've admitted to having conflicts in the past and then claim a fix. It's ok for a week or so then there's a problem again.
Why haven't I uninstalled it? Well, I like to try and get to the bottom of these problems, so when I have a moment or two, I'll investigate again and also try whatever the latest version is. I expect there's a newer version since I disabled it!
The other irritating things about this bloatware is it is a processor hogger when it's updating it's configuration, and what is really irritating is that is does so right as the machine is booting and even if you turn off automatic updates - it STILL does it - downloading typically about 2.5Mb of configuration update and hogging the processor whilst I want to just quickly check my email.
Well I found work arounds to most issues except the freeze on boot and if that problem hasn't gone away - it will, along with a complaint to the bank about wasting my money on paying for such a rubbish product.