cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this something to do with M$?

colintivy
Rising Star

Is this something to do with M$?

Lenovo ThinkPad running Windows 7 Prof x64. Today, on calling for Browser which  is  Mozilla Firefox 57 suddenly displays a Panel entitled "XULRunner Platform version 57.0.2 not compatible with 57" when clicked for use? Has anyone caught this as well? or am I on my own?? I have not had any problem before.

17 REPLIES 17
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Is this something to do with M$?

Why would yet another problem with FF57 have anything to do with Microsoft?

Mozilla seem to have to have released a complete donkey going by all the problems with this version.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Did you update from 57.0.1 to 57.0.2 recently?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Browni wrote:

Mozilla seem to have to have released a complete donkey going by all the problems with this version.

@Browni Hope I'm not speaking too soon, but I'm on 57.0.2, and haven't had any issues -yet Smiley

John
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yup its Mozilla problem Undecided

XULRunner - Error

If you see the message, "XULRunner - Error: Platform version <x.x.x.x> is not compatible with minVersion <x.x.x.x>"" ("<x.x.x.x>" depends on version number), after a software update, use another browser to download the Firefox installer from the Firefox download page, save it to the desktop or other location, delete the Firefox installation directory and then reinstall Firefox

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Browni
Aspiring Hero

@jab1 wrote:

@Browni Hope I'm not speaking too soon, but I'm on 57.0.2, and haven't had any issues -yet Smiley

Best of luck John but I have to admit I'm glad I moved to Pale Moon years ago Smiley

jab1
Legend

@rongtw Thanks for that - noted for future reference.

John
jab1
Legend

@Browni I have PaleMoon as a back-up.

John
Browni
Aspiring Hero

You need one using FF Funny
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

`I`m using CYBERFOX as an alternative to Firefox..     on Windows 7 Pro

There is also "Waterfox".  which I think is only 64 bit

colintivy
Rising Star

@rongtw

Thanks for your advice! I have sucessfully got 57.0.2 (x64 en-US) on laptop and it seems to working spot on!! I would like advice about the other foxs if it might help as an alternative. I have not had any troubles with earlier versons before this.

Reading the other comments, it seems that I have been lucky so far. What a value these topics can be to the eldery like me is what I value in Plus.net over many years. So thanks all round are well earned.

Colin.

VileReynard
Hero

I dug out an old Windows laptop which had Firefox version 38 on it. Smiley

It would only let me update to 57.0.2 about 6 versions at a time - but I succeeded.

It now loads in about half the time & I get no problems.

By coincidence? it insisted that I download about 6GB (seriously) as Windows 7.1 service pack + some other rubbish.

So it may well be a Windows problem.

colintivy
Rising Star

@VileReynard

I am sorry that I caused you to do that archeology ! My heading of this post  is due to my fixation that M$ will eventually bork every existent Windows 7 installation and goad all to install W10, which I do not want to do having read the W10 contents. I now intend to go to Linux (Mint18 or thereabouts). I did have a dabble with a couple of Ubuntu versions alongside the current Windows at the time and it looked promising. A computer bug intervened and I backed off until now. I hope to get this in place before my declining grey matter gets much worse!!

Colin.

VileReynard
Hero

My big download failed during the install - so I cancelled it.

You may well be right about Microsoft self-destroying Windows 7!

I agree with your decision to try Mint, as the desktop layout is quite like a much improved Windows XP layout.

Version 18 ought to be out by July 2018.

colintivy
Rising Star

@VileReynard

Thanks for those wise words, I will watch out for the new version of Mint when it appears. I have disks for Mint 18 & 18.1. Cinnamon x64 already, but I do not know what a new one will be numbered. My plot will be to slice some space on the Windows Partition (which is not crowded) and format it to ext3, if that is recommended. When it is all running ,I can ditch M$ for good!! 

I have two machines, both running Win 7 Pro, which eventually will get the same treatment but only after one is working properly. Lots of back-ups will end up on a couple of external HDs with a fair amount of space each. Then I have to re-educate myself in mastering Linux after all this time. I wish that I had persued all this earlier, I had more working grey matter then!!