cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam?

zippyzappy
Grafter

Is this a scam?

Today I got a popup with a header on the page I assumed was from PlusNet. It asked a few questions about satisfaction with PlusNet then It offered stuff for £1. Unbelieveable I know, but I felt safe seeing the PlusNet header so I paid the pound. Now they have my credit card number and the £1 allows me to enter their competitions for 3 days. The site in question is funkyclock.com.  Undecided
Have I been taken in and what do PlusNet have to say about this?
I took a screen image, see below.

3 REPLIES 3
Razorback
Grafter

Re: Is this a scam?

zippyzappy
Grafter

I realise that now Razorback.  Cry
I use Firefox and at the time it happened it came up on a new tab, not the usual popup overlapping the page I was on. I do have the Addblock plus plugin intstalled on Firefox and that didn't stop it, neither did Malwarebytes which is supposed to give malicious website protection.
I have been with PlusNet for almost 3 years now and I have had only a couple of small problems in that time which were sorted out fast and very much to my satisfcation by PlusNet support team so I trust the service I get from them. Because of this I saw no reason to think anything negative when I saw the page with the PlusNet header and the few survey questions about my satisfaction with PlusNet. I have done surveys of similar type before with ebay & PayPal although they didn't offer rewards.
So it was my trust in PlusNet that let me down and I suppose those scammers rely on that to wind idiots like me in.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I think you should be able to contact your card issuer and stop any (future at least) payments to this company - I'd certainly recommend trying that.
I'm guessing that they read IP addresses and present a banner to match the person's ISP details (probably quite a simple task for an experienced web designer / programmer and, with the money they must be making from this kind of scheme/scam they can probably afford to pay good clever people).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.