Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a good pc to buy?

evie
Grafter

Re: Is this a good pc to buy?

Thanks all for your replies.
yeah the screen is just super shiny but putting it square on does help eliminate the gazillion reflections
about the heat issue.....It's just the crappest place to put whatever thing gets hot right where you rest your hands to type. In my previous beloved sony it was placed at the top and so even though the laptop did get hot like all laptops do, you didn't end up frying your hands while typing.
I don't know what the view will be if i try taking it back..... Undecided  I thought it had to be within the 7 days return thing, not within the year's warranty....
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: evie
I thought it had to be within the 7 days return thing, not within the year's warranty....

Your statuatory rights maintain that the product must be fit for purpose. If the laptop is frying your hands then that is clearly not the case and you would be well within your rights to return the laptop any time within the first 12 months. Hit your local trading standards office. They are always desperate to let you know your rights as a consumer and will be delighted to advise you further.
evie
Grafter

thanks geewizz Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

In any case, if it's your CPU running hot then it's lifetime will be severely curtailed.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

evie
Grafter

Just wondering, if i was to return my laptop, how could i delete all the stuff that is on there permamently
I also just realised that this forum censors the word [Censored]- just to let you know that was all i was saying Smiley
[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin):  Please do not try to avoid the word censor. ]
James
Grafter

I think there's a fairly good reason for that.
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: evie
Just wondering, if i was to return my laptop, how could i delete all the stuff that is on there permamently

It's not easy but you can delete all the files you are concerned about and then defrag. Next thing to do is to pack the hard disk with big files until it is full and sending you error messages and burping (try recording audio with no compression for fast results.)  Delete these files and repeat until bored.
evie
Grafter

the omnipresent plusnet team guiding us on the path to purity- would have rathered you answered my question though. While it may not be the most eloquent use of the english language, it is not offensive, especially when its use was regarding shoddy plastic.
evie
Grafter

hey geewizz,
thanks, i can defrag that sounds ok....the packing the HD to the gills with files, is that because overwriting permaently erases things? Is that the only way coz i have 250gb to fill up...  Undecided
VileReynard
Hero

No - unless you do it quite a number of times - physically battering the disk is the only certain way.

geewizz
Grafter

Yes. The defrag just changes address pointers a bit. The hard drive won't start overwriting until it has filled the empty parts of the disk. It's very difficult to cover things completely because the PC is set up to make backups of everything and you have to really force it to overwrite these. You can buy software that does it much better but if you just want to make it a little less interesting than the next hard disk in a bin then you don't need to be too thorough.
VileReynard
Hero

When you've finished, you could always do a few low level formats (do non-SCSI disks still allow this?).

chillypenguin
Grafter

Darik's Boot and Nuke will do a very good job.
Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.

DBAN is a means of ensuring due diligence in computer recycling, a way of preventing identity theft if you want to sell a computer, and a good way to totally clean a Microsoft Windows installation of viruses and spyware. DBAN prevents or thoroughly hinders all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis.

geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: chillypenguin
Darik's Boot and Nuke will do a very good job.

Will that delete the OS? I think Evie would need to leave the OS on the hard disk if she was returning it, assuming that it was installed on purchase.
evie
Grafter

thanks chilly penguin, DBAN sounds quite the thing....yes gheewhizz, windows was pre-installed, sounds like DBAN wipes everything off?